Frequent Contributor

Air Fryer V. Convection Oven

Can someone explain to me what an Air Fryer can do that my Breville Convection Oven doesn't?  I'm just trying to figure out the pros & cons. Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Air Fryer V. Convection Oven

http://ocmominmanila.com/2014/02/convection-oven-vs-air-fryer/

Please check Breville web site for a comparison of the different "smart ovens"

Regular Contributor

thanks for posting that, it helped me decided on getting the air fryer when i see a deal.

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

http://ocmominmanila.com/2014/02/convection-oven-vs-air-fryer/

Please check Breville web site for a comparison of the different "smart ovens"

Interesting.  I just got the Ming Tsai Air Fryer so haven't tried anything except Tater Tots yet, but I would mention I really like my old countertop convection oven for reheating things like quesadillas and pizza.  

Not sure I would cook fresh meat in the air fryer, but I'm intersted in seeing how it handles some of the frozen meat.  I have some frozen fish in the freezer and I've seen frozen Jack Daniels bacon wrapped filets at Costco I'm tempted by, but am put off by having to defrost before cooking, so the air fryer may be the answer to that.  

BTW, Tater Tots came out great.  Did spritz a little oil on them and have no plans to do them any differently.  

Respected Contributor

Don't be fearful of cooking fresh meats/fish in the airfryer, @Icegoddess . 

I just fixed some drumsticks in mine; and if you like crispy on the outside and JUICY on the inside, go for it!!  Delicious!  I also did fresh Greek turkey burgers in it yesterday, and they came out so much better than stovetop.

Prefrozen things are a snap and crispen up much better in the airfryer, too. 

Enjoy your new Ming Tsai.  I keep finding more and more creative things to do with mine all the time.  So glad I purchased it.Woman Happy

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Honored Contributor

@Gokat wrote:

Don't be fearful of cooking fresh meats/fish in the airfryer, @Icegoddess . 

I just fixed some drumsticks in mine; and if you like crispy on the outside and JUICY on the inside, go for it!!  Delicious!  I also did fresh Greek turkey burgers in it yesterday, and they came out so much better than stovetop.

Prefrozen things are a snap and crispen up much better in the airfryer, too. 

Enjoy your new Ming Tsai.  I keep finding more and more creative things to do with mine all the time.  So glad I purchased it.Woman Happy

I too love my air fryer, I couldn't agree more @Gokat!  Earlier today I popped a frozen burrito in there (normally I let them thaw out first but I was caught hungry and with limited options).  It came out great and was cooked through.  Crispy on the outside, warm and gooey on the inside.

I can't make better chicken than I can in my air fryer.  Again, crispy on the outside yet moist and juicy on the inside.

For me, this is hands down the best small appliance I have purchased in a long time.

Honored Contributor

I love my Breville but I don't think the convection feature is strong enough to have the effect of the fan in the air fryers.  I don't notice the slightest difference in the speed at which food cooks in the Breville when "convection" is on.  I can hardly hear a fan running.  I don't think convection cooking is this oven's forte.  The air fryers are smaller and the heat and fan are more concentrated.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Besides having the NuWave oven, I didn't know NuWave had an air ftyer, Wish it had more than 1 review, a five star review, but only 1 review. http://www.qvc.com/NuWave-Brio-Deluxe-Air-Fryer.product.K305365.html?sc=K305365-SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSIT...

Respected Contributor

I stopped buying the turkey burgers because they always seemed dry and tasteless when done in a frying pan or on a grill, @momtochloe .  Yesterday's experiment really clinched it...I can totally say I love that black beauty!Woman LOL

It doesn't seem to matter whether prefrozen or fresh.  Everything comes out really well. 

Next on the list...Mexican Fried Ice Cream!! Yum.

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Honored Contributor

@Gokat wrote:

I stopped buying the turkey burgers because they always seemed dry and tasteless when done in a frying pan or on a grill, @momtochloe .  Yesterday's experiment really clinched it...I can totally say I love that black beauty!Woman LOL

It doesn't seem to matter whether prefrozen or fresh.  Everything comes out really well. 

Next on the list...Mexican Fried Ice Cream!! Yum.

@Gokat and one can find Mexican Fried Ice Cream where please? . . . goodness how fabulous would that be? . . . Smiley Happy