Valued Contributor

Air Fryer AND Convection Oven

In our previous home we had convection oven that I loved.  We have since moved and only have a standard oven.  We're getting ready to do a major remodel and at that time I plan on buying a new convection oven when the remdel is done and ready for the appliances.  Those that have a convection oven and an air fryer, is it necessary to have both.  I would just as soon wait and not buy an air fry because the only one I would buy is the Phillips and it's a bit expensive.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Air Fryer AND Convection Oven

My oven is also convection and I probably use convection mode more often than the standard mode, especially when roasting, baking foods like squashes and potatoes, etc. Foods are done quicker than using standard oven modes. I also use convection for baking cookies; because of the way the convection heat circulates through the oven, I can bake 4 sheets of cookies at one time. I cannot do that with regular mode. During the holidays, convection has been a true time saver for me.

I do have a Philips air fryer, though, and that is because it's a smaller appliance. I did a lot of reviewing and researching before I bought it. The fries come out nicely in the air fryer (and in a shorter time than in the convection oven).

I really like the air fryer. We've done fries, wings, stuffed mushrooms, shrimp, chicken pieces, stuffed tomatoes....I don't remember everything. Suffice to say that I use it at least once a week. I don't have the baking dish accessory yet, but do plan on getting it so that we can try frittatas and omelets.

If you buy a Philips, I think you'll be happy with it.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the great post. I'm going to check around for a Phillips.  there is one on the other shopping channel but not sure if that size is too small. I have to see it live to make a decision.  Has anyone heated up tamales with the corn husks on?  

Honored Contributor

Personally, if I had a convection oven I would not get an air fryer. However, they are nice for small portions so it's not like they are a bad investment.

Honored Contributor

I think they both have a place in the kitchen depending on your cooking style.  An air fryer concentrates the forced air giving better crispy products.  It's also good for small quantities.  They don't heat up the kitchen, and you don't have that long preheat time.  I don't have a full-size convection oven, but I do have one of those countertop ovens.  My air fryer is on the smaller side, I think it's about 2.5L (Chef Ming Tsai), and that's just right for the two of us.  I see some like to get bigger and bigger ones to totally replace their big oven, but I have found it better to use different products for different applications instead of trying to make one product do it all.  But, that is just my personal preference.

Esteemed Contributor

@BaileyBop wrote:

In our previous home we had convection oven that I loved.  We have since moved and only have a standard oven.  We're getting ready to do a major remodel and at that time I plan on buying a new convection oven when the remdel is done and ready for the appliances.  Those that have a convection oven and an air fryer, is it necessary to have both.  I would just as soon wait and not buy an air fry because the only one I would buy is the Phillips and it's a bit expensive.

I brought a Phillips air fryer from Amazon last year and luv it. Williams-Sonoma's site has a new large fryer with digital controls for sale. This item is expensive. WS may have a sale for Valentine Day. You may be able to find one on sale at BBB.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I think they both have a place in the kitchen depending on your cooking style.  An air fryer concentrates the forced air giving better crispy products.  It's also good for small quantities.  They don't heat up the kitchen, and you don't have that long preheat time.  I don't have a full-size convection oven, but I do have one of those countertop ovens.  My air fryer is on the smaller side, I think it's about 2.5L (Chef Ming Tsai), and that's just right for the two of us.  I see some like to get bigger and bigger ones to totally replace their big oven, but I have found it better to use different products for different applications instead of trying to make one product do it all.  But, that is just my personal preference.

@Icegoddess I couldn't agree with your post more.  This is kind of a niche item but if you are cooking for smaller groups of people I would highly recommend it, I just love mine . . . Smiley Happy