Respected Contributor

Re: Advice, please. Is gluten-free baking worth the trouble?

@LuvmyLab 

Its so disappointing when one gets a hold and pays for specialty products that don't taste well.  DD has pretty severe gluten intolerance and I am experimenting with which products to buy.  

Sad part is when one has favorite recipe and simply substituting for gluten-free flour does not work.  It's a  process.

Honored Contributor

@Twins Mom   I have been gluten free for 36 years.  I have thrown out a lot of gross food.

If you are interested in what is good and what is not...don't waste your money.  You can always ask me if I have tried it before you buy it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

@LuvmyLab wrote:

I am not gluten free however when I went to buy spaghetti noodles at the store recently all they had left were the gluten free ones so I bought them.  They are terrible!  You can't twirl the spaghetti on a fork, it just falls off, and there is no substance to it at all. Just my experience with a gluten free food.

I hate that 'stuff' too. I accidently bought some kind of crackers and they were so hard almost broke a 1,000 crown in my mouth. I'm a yeast person, myself.

Nobody ever heard of gluten free till few yrs. ago makes you wonder how they ever held up in yrs. gone by. LOL

That is so not true.  I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease 36 years ago and have been gluten free since.  

Europe has been way ahead of the US with gluten free foods.  They have signs in the restaurant windows stating they serve gluten free foods.  Many Europeans have intolerance for gluten. 

@Carmie - I almost came back to make that same point myself. My sister-in-law is British and I lived in England for 20 years. They have been light years ahead of the US in this awareness.  For some reason Europeans have a higher genetic predisposition to celiac disease.

Frequent Contributor

Add my voice for Bobs Red Mill 1:1 gluten free flour.  It is an easy 1for 1 substitution and you can't taste the difference. I bake all the time with it.  My BFF is gluten free because it makes her gassy, bloated and very uncomfortable.  Her Dr. ran some tests tho to tell her to lay-off gluten.  it's hard because flour is in so much like soy sauce.  I would support your son and use Bobs Red Mill. 

Respected Contributor

@house_cat  My brother-in-law has celiacs disease and can't eat anything that contains wheat/gluten. My sister likes King Arthur's Flour gluten-free baking mix (it might be called Measure for Measure). You use it just like regular flour and she says she gets good, consistent results. I've seen it in BJ's, Amazon and on the KAF website. Regular supermarkets carry it, too. If it turns out that your son has celiacs disease, or even just a gluten sensitivity, it could be well worth it to try a gluten-free flour. Good luck! 

Respected Contributor

Your son "SUSPECTS" he has gluten intolerance?  Why does he "suspect"?  Based on what?  Talks with friends?  Internet surfing?

Rather than worrying about baking cookies, maybe you ought to recommend that he consult with his doctor, if he has one.  If he doesn't, he ought to get one.  Let the doctor do the testing and investigating and questioning to get to the bottom of the problem.  In the meantime, send him something else and help him find ought what's going on.

Respected Contributor

I have a child with Celiac. If left untreated it could have terrible consequences. 

I have made some of the best cookies in my life with gluten free flour. Gluten free baking and cooking is actually delicious! 

Tate's gluten free chocolate chip cookies are addictive, trust me.

Better than their regular.

And gluten free banana bread is out of this world.

Honored Contributor

@Ladybug724 

Could I trouble you to share one of your cookie recipes?

~ house cat ~
Frequent Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@house_cat wrote:

Thanks for all the recommendations. I always get good advice here.  I don't want to send store-bought cookies. The only reason I'm sending them is because my recipe was a childhood favorite of his.  I guess I'll give it a try and see what turns out.   

@MeriH 

I'm very interested in your comment about "cup for cup" flours.  Does it state that on the packaging or is there a particular kind of GF flour that can be substituted cup for cup?

@house_cat   I have found that cup for cup gluten free flour used in regular recipes instead of wheat flour does not come out perfectly.  You usually have to add xantham gum to make it work.  

It is better to use a gluten free recipe with gluten free flour unless you have experience with this.

@Carmie 

Yes it will say it on the package either cup for cup or measure for measure.

Red mills have one and King Arthur 

Trusted Contributor

I've not tried Bob's, but I can attest to King Arthur's Measure for Measure GF flour. Our DIL is gluten-free. I've made cookies for her. And I've even made beef pot pie (not with a crust, but with rolled-out large pastry squares) with the M4M flour. It works very well.

The only thing M4M flour does not work well for is yeast breads, but King Arthur states that. But for pie crust, cookies, and pot pie, it's great. I use it whenever they come for dinner.