Valued Contributor

Advice on yeast and flour for bread maker please

Now that I've decided to go ahead and keep my Cuisinart bread maker, I'm looking for advice on which type of yeast and flour to buy. According to the manual, I can use active dry or bread machine yeast. What's the difference between the two, and is one better to use than the other? Also, I was planning to buy, as suggested in the manual, unbleached all-purpose flour, but would it be better to buy bread flour? Thanks for any help and suggestions you can offer (as you might be able to deduce, I am a complete novice when it comes to making bread).

Respected Contributor

Re: Advice on yeast and flour for bread maker please

Congratulations on using your bread machine! Homemade bread is delicious, I dislike store bought so much.

I have always used Bread Flour, but I'm sure all purpose works. Bread flour contains more gluten. I also used Bread Machine Yeast, the granules and keep in the fridge. 

I have a small Zojirushi that makes a 1lb loaf, I'm single so there's less waste. It's delicious. Please let us know how it goes, it's super easy and once you have your own, no more store bought bread. Yummy!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm using Fleischmans Instant Dry yeast and bread flour, in the Breadman.

I like the loaf better with bread flour, though the all purpose is cheaper - neither is incredibly pricey so I quit splitting hairs.

In my machine, the yeast measurement is different for 'active' or 'instant' vs bread machine yeast, so that would be something to look at.  A pound of Fleischmans ran me $9 and change and I keep it in a lock n lock in the fridge, taking out only the amount I need for a few minutes, to bring it to room temp.  I'm sure either works.

With a loaf of bread going for $3-$4 I love my bread machine (plus it is YUMMY).  The house smells so good!

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Personally?  I think Fleischmann's yeast is best.  Use whatever flour and yeast your recipe calls for.  Many swear by King Arthur flour, which was never available locally for me, so I always bought Gold Medal or Pillsbury bread flour.  This article should help.  Enjoy!

http://easyaspiecanbe.blogspot.com/2014/09/bread-machine-basics-101.html 

Honored Contributor

What's the difference between active dry and bread machine yeast? There's not much. Granule size is the biggest difference. Bread machine yeast tends to be smaller granules. Bread machine yeast may also come with a dose of ascorbic acid to help bread rise more quickly. Both work fine.

As to flour, bread flour will typically give you the best results in breads. All-purpose can do fine also though. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@Mustang Shar wrote:

Congratulations on using your bread machine! Homemade bread is delicious, I dislike store bought so much.

I have always used Bread Flour, but I'm sure all purpose works. Bread flour contains more gluten. I also used Bread Machine Yeast, the granules and keep in the fridge. 

I have a small Zojirushi that makes a 1lb loaf, I'm single so there's less waste. It's delicious. Please let us know how it goes, it's super easy and once you have your own, no more store bought bread. Yummy!

I could have written this about myself. I concur with what you have said here.

Honored Contributor

i use bread flour and regular yeast---just have to follow your machine directions for how you add all the ingredients---mine is liquid things first then the flour then a small indent to add the yeast

Respected Contributor

I've been baking bread since the machines came out. Hands down the best brand of flour is King Arthur. They have all purpose, bread, white whole wheat, and whole wheat. All are available at Target, Walmart, and some grocery stores. I use SAF yeast available online. Enjoy your fresh, healthy bread
Honored Contributor

After 30 years of using bread machines, I have settled on SAF Red Instant Yeast for everything.  If you buy in the larger sealed "brick" it is a great price and keeps a long time in a tightly sealed container in the freezer. 

When I use it I take it out and measure what I need, then put it back immediately in the freezer.  Or keep a small jar in the fridge will work too with most of the yeast in the freezer.

Flour?  I used to be sold on King Arthur Flour long ago when the company was smaller but now, I really don't see a huge difference in bread flour from good brands.  Bread flour has a higher gluten content and will rise nicely and give you a loaf not as puffy as regular all purpose flour.

Gluten, which you also can buy, is often added to whole wheat bread recipes.  I also like to make whole wheat with about 1/4 to 1/3 white bread flour for a lighter loaf.  Experiment and see what you like best!

Respected Contributor

@qualityshopper 

The type of flour should be specified in the recipe you are using.  Some of mine call for all purpose flour and some call for bread flour.  

I use Fleishmans bread machine yeast in a jar.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward