Respected Contributor

Re: Added this to my vintage cookbook collection!

@sunshine45   I have this set of Woman's Day Encyclopedia of Cookery and it is wonderful.  I use lots of recipes from this set and have posted some in the Recipes forum here.

Has essays that are food related too.  Just a real treasure house of inspiration for all food related things.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i think this set may be my oldest......they were my mothers and she is really thinning out her cookbook collection. i highly recommend this set if you want some great recipes.

Woman's Day Encyclopedia of Cookery (set of 12 books)

cookery.jpg

@sunshine45 . I have these cookbooks. I bought one each week at the grocery store the first year I was married (1967). I still read them quite often. I love all the stories from well known chefs at the time. 

Trusted Contributor

My favorite vintage cookbook is a notebook from my Grandma that I found in my Mother's things.  It lists a lot of her recipes and to make it more special it is in her own handwriting.  Very precious to me!

Contributor

I have this set too that I have had for many years.  My favorite recipe I cook from here is the Creamy Macaroni & Cheese.  I think I bought a volume a week at the A&P store.

Respected Contributor

@house_cat @Glad you got it for your collection.  My sister has my moms old, old, old fanniefarmer cookbook probably from the 40’s.  She LOVES it

Honored Contributor

@Swedish Ivy wrote:

I have this set too that I have had for many years.  My favorite recipe I cook from here is the Creamy Macaroni & Cheese.  I think I bought a volume a week at the A&P store.

@Swedish Ivy .  Yes, I think it was A&P.  I have aso been making that macaroni and cheese since forever. It is so good.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

It arrived today!

IMG_0459.JPG

IMG_0460.JPG

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45   Do you know or could you check to see what the copyright date is on those books?  I have the set but mine are packed up in a box somewhere in my 'junk room'....

Honored Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@sunshine45   Do you know or could you check to see what the copyright date is on those books?  I have the set but mine are packed up in a box somewhere in my 'junk room'....

@KatieB . Yes, the copyright date is 1966. They were first offered in my grocery store in Miami in 1967. They offered one a week for twelve weeks. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ   Thanks for the info.  I used to work at Thalhimer's Department Store in the summers when I was in high school.  A lady that I worked with (Mrs. Ritchie, from Savannah, GA)  gave me this set of books.   She had the best southern accent (I'm from NC, so I have a southern accent too, but not like hers).  

These books are fun to read