Regular Contributor

ATK's Slow Cooker Recommendations

Sorry I know S/C's have been discussed before.

I picked up a copy of America's Test Kitchen Slow Cooker Revolution the other day in Costco, now I have a vintage 4qt s/c that was given to me, but after looking over the book now think I should get a newer/larger model.

Their new #1 is a Kitchenaid 6qt @$99, #2(former #1) Crockpot Countdown Touch Screen d

Digital 6.5qt(thats a mouthful)@$89. I also saw in checking websites, a Frigidaire on Sam's Club.com it's a 7qt and is only $59(+$10 shipping). I like this one, but wish they carried it in their club so I could take a look at it. All these models are oval which I guess is an advantage when doing a chicken or roast. Any other recommendations? There are so many makes and models out there, would like to stay with a known brand.

Honored Contributor

Re: ATK's Slow Cooker Recommendations

I received the ATK slow cooker cookbook as a gift and saw their recs for slow cookers. Now I want the top pick Kitchenaid 6qt. Mine is a really old Rival that I bought at Walmart years ago, lol.

"To each their own, in all things".
Regular Contributor

On 1/22/2015 snickster said:

I received the ATK slow cooker cookbook as a gift and saw their recs for slow cookers. Now I want the top pick Kitchenaid 6qt. Mine is a really old Rival that I bought at Walmart years ago, lol.

I know, just have to see who has it and how much it is actually sold for. But check out samsclub.com(even though you may not be a member) and look at the Frigidaire Pro and see what you think.

Super Contributor

I have a basic Rival - nice, but I think cooks a bit "hot." My very favorite is a Technique one that I got from the Q several years ago. The insert is lightweight coated metal (aluminum?) and I can set it for either slow cooking or regular cooking. I love this feature since sometimes meat, onions, etc., are better browned first and I don't have to do this in a separate step. If I want to thicken the gravy or put dumplings in stew, I just turn it over to the regular cook setting for that. I can also prepare things in it the night before without worrying about cracking the "crock" when I put it on in the morning. Had I known it would be discontinued, I would have purchased two so I'd have a backup.

Honored Contributor

My old crockpot from about 15 years ago just died and I got a new one from Walmart for $25. Does everything I need it to do. I would never even consider paying $100 for a crockpot. I figure my old one cost me about $2 a year and I used it 2 to 3 times a week - more back when I was working.

Honored Contributor

On 1/22/2015 MScotty said:
On 1/22/2015 snickster said:

I know, just have to see who has it and how much it is actually sold for. But check out samsclub.com(even though you may not be a member) and look at the Frigidaire Pro and see what you think.

The Frigidaire Pro looks pretty good, too bad ATK didn't rate it, lol. Amazon has it at the same price as Sam's Club.

"To each their own, in all things".
Super Contributor

I would be glad to take that vintage SC off your hand Unfortunately today they really are not economical as they were so for me a pressure cooker is a better option...