Honored Contributor

Re: AOL article: How Many Calories In Thanksgiving! Really!

On 11/24/2014 ValuSkr said:
On 11/24/2014 beckyb1012 said:

<br /> The sad part is does not factor in 2nd helpings. I just let it all go and enjoy, GOBBLE GOBBLE. Embrace it all with no guilt we all deserve it.

LOL I like your attitude.

Thanks, we immediately have dessert on one plate with some of all which is usually a minimum of five different items, this is our first round. Sometimes we take a short break before second helpings of the pie ect... sometimes not. Just not as much on the plate. Then of course we wonderful women finally get up and continue to visit while standing around the leftovers which means snacking. A bite of turkey a pinch of fudge!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

From a Time magazine article in 2012:

6 oz. of turkey, with skin: 299 calories
sausage stuffing: 310 calories
dinner roll and butter: 310 calories
sweet-potato casserole: 300 calories
mashed potatoes and gravy: 140 calories
green-bean casserole: 110 calories
cranberry sauce: 15 calories
brussels sprouts: 83 calories
pumpkin pie: 316 calories
pecan pie: 503 calories
whipped cream: 100 calories

total: 2,486 calories

3486: you forgot the gravy that will be slathered over everything! Including the missing drinks!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

I never give a single thought to calories, fat, sugar on Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. Ditto for Easter, Mother's Day, my birthday. Those are special days and I just celebrate and enjoy. I was in a weight loss program once and one of things that I clearly remember was the nutritionist tell us that even you splurge on special day; eat what you want and enjoy it. Because....you cannot eat enough calories in one day to gain a pound. If you eat a lot of salt, you might accumlate some fluid, especially if you live a low salt/low sodium life. Which I do. The thing with holiday eating is that when people complain about weight gain, it's because they over indulged for a week or two. I enjoy the day, I enjoy my friends and family and eat absolutely everything I want, whenever I want it. And....the very next day....I go back to eating healthy.

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/24/2014 ECBG said:

Interesting, yes! Heck! All of us know about carbs and their sources! We're not going to serve a "white or yellow plate" (the mark of a carb filled meal)! A lot of us will have green beans, carrots, (well, ok, they are a little high in sugar), brussel sprouts (try cooking in chicken broth to tame them), broccoli, and other green things!

Pumpkin, after all, IS a squash! (yes, we DO add a little sugar,...well, just a little...)!

We all try to serve a healthy meal and I'm taking a day off from calories! I may even eat half a roll!

Bring on the white zin!

Do you think about holiday calories? Can you just enjoy the day?

EC, absolutely not!

There is no way in the world that white zin will be a part of my meal, holiday or festivities!

I will enjoy my day with the addition of The Original Dark Horse Chardonnay.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

On 11/24/2014 chrystaltree said:

I never give a single thought to calories, fat, sugar on Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. Ditto for Easter, Mother's Day, my birthday. Those are special days and I just celebrate and enjoy. I was in a weight loss program once and one of things that I clearly remember was the nutritionist tell us that even you splurge on special day; eat what you want and enjoy it. Because....you cannot eat enough calories in one day to gain a pound. If you eat a lot of salt, you might accumlate some fluid, especially if you live a low salt/low sodium life. Which I do. The thing with holiday eating is that when people complain about weight gain, it's because they over indulged for a week or two. I enjoy the day, I enjoy my friends and family and eat absolutely everything I want, whenever I want it. And....the very next day....I go back to eating healthy.

Oh we could so hang together with that great attitude!!!!! Friday will be my back to normal day until Christmas Eve too. I exercise and watch my diet every day of the year but the holidays you listed. It does not hurt to enjoy sometimes.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

Hate sweet potato casserole and pumpkin pie so that knocks 600 or more off! Thanks, I feel so much better now,lol. That means I can have extra stuffing though right? Smiley Wink
Honored Contributor

From a Time magazine article in 2012:

6 oz. of turkey, with skin: 299 calories
sausage stuffing: 310 calories
dinner roll and butter: 310 calories
sweet-potato casserole: 300 calories
mashed potatoes and gravy: 140 calories
green-bean casserole: 110 calories
cranberry sauce: 15 calories
brussels sprouts: 83 calories
pumpkin pie: 316 calories
pecan pie: 503 calories
whipped cream: 100 calories

total: 2,486 calories

Gadzooks! Would people really eat that much, though? I couldn't eat half of that. From what's on that mega-menu, I'd eat 1,000 calories worth. Whew! hehe

To be honest, and especially after doing all the work, I cannot even eat that much of it and that included the piece of pumpkin pie that I wouldn't even eat until the next day so I guess I'm really at just 700 calories.

Honored Contributor

It's one day a year, my husband and kids eat the leftovers, I don't.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

On 11/24/2014 Yahooey said:

I am forgoing the Grands biscuit for extra dressing. Trading one bread for another.

OMG! Then you're saved! After all it's one serving!!!

Honored Contributor

As a diabetic, I do give much thought to our Thanksgiving and Christmas meals. The goal is to have a good meal that we enjoy, but not lose total control through the holidays. The 4 of us decide on the most important foods we want to eat, and that is what I prepare; no rolls and no dessert on our Thanksgiving menu this year. I do not do any holiday baking; there are no cookies, cakes, or candy in this house during the big holidays. We do not eat anywhere but home during the holidays, and our families know not to give us baked goodies as gifts.