Honored Contributor

If you like Indian cuisine, as I do, you might find this reference chart helpful when ordering out or buying ingredients for a new recipe you'd like to try.Cat Happy

Indian Dals Names, Dals and Legumes - Indian Dal Names in English and Hindi with pictures. Split Chickpeas (Chana Dal), Red Lentils (Masoor Dal), Petite Yellow Lentils (Mung Dal) and more | Vegan Richa:

Honored Contributor

Re: A "Cheat Sheet" for Dals

Love Indian food-- the chart is great, thanks!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I feel like I'm the last person on Earth 

who has never had Indian cuisine!

Maybe some day...

I think of it as super spicy...with cumin & a hint of cinnamon.

Am I in the right wheelhouse?

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom- no, it does not have to be spicy. Some restuaramts will give you a spice scale when you order 1 - 10 (on fire!).

If you like spicy food than start with a 4 - 5. If you don't like spicy then let them know and go to a lower number. Channa dal is my favorite.
Good stuff!

Honored Contributor

Good for the bowels looks like.

Valued Contributor

No, sidsmom, you're not in the right wheelhouse - well not quite. Indian cooking often does use quite a bit of spice, but that doesn't necessarily mean heat. Dishes can use all kinds of spices without being hot. If you've never tried Indian food, I'd recommend trying a dish called Navratan Korma. It is not at all hot but is delicious. Whenever I take a neophyte to an Indian restaurant, I suggest they try the Navratan Korma or any Korma. I tell them that if they don't like it, I'll buy their dinner. I haven't had to buy any dinner yet. Now if you see something like Chicken Vindaloo or Beef Vindaloo, that IS hot. As for curries, some are hot and some are not. Too often I think that some people equate spicy with hot. A spicy dish can be mild or it can be hot or everything in between.