Highlighted
Honored Contributor

A lot of coffee these days smells REALLY bad!

In the last few years a lot of the coffee--even the most popular ones--smells really bad to me. Now of course that could be just me, but it has an acrid smell I think it is very unpleasant and strong.

What are some that you think smell good and refreshing?

Or the age-old question: Is it just ME? {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Re: A lot of coffee these days smells REALLY bad!

All coffee stinks, I mean it smells really bad. (of course it tastes even worse...) I know it's me and I'm a small minority, but still. I've searched for a coffe maker that holds the stink in for my wife, but no luck. Seriously, I'd rather eat breakfast in an outhouse than a StinkBucks...

Trusted Contributor

I think two thing are happening.

The first is that it may very well be changes in you.  Things change over time with each of us, and there are aromas that we once enjoyed that may no longer be pleasant to us (or even become revolting).

The seond, though, is that coffee roasts have changed.  Americans are catching up with the rest of the world an consuming darker, richer roasts.  To some people -- particularly those who have been familia with traditional American type ssuch as Folgers or Maxwell House -- these other roasts are almost burnt.  I remember years ago finding them nasty and distasteful, now, the lighters roasts taste like water to me.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

In the last few years a lot of the coffee--even the most popular ones--smells really bad to me. Now of course that could be just me, but it has an acrid smell I think it is very unpleasant and strong.

Well duh, of course it's you.   Coffee smells wonderful!   LOL  I even have a couple coffee scented candles.

smilie

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

@debic wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Well duh, of course it's you.   Coffee smells wonderful!   LOL  I even have a couple coffee scented candles.

smilie

THERE! I  KNEW it!  LOL!!!

Valued Contributor

I think a lot of brands are adding "fillers" to their coffee, to save money.

Honored Contributor

Interesting to hear this. I was raised on Maxwell House and other popular brands. I used them myself until several years ago. I can't even open the cans anymore - the smell makes me nauseous.  I still drink coffee, but I find myself buying the dark roasts like Starbucks that don't seem to have that smell.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

We had Starbucks coffee over the holiday and it was terrible and burnt tasting like wood. I received a gift card from a friend and we used it to get coffee but I doubt we will ever go back.

Valued Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

YES. Guess you've NEVER tasted premium coffee.

Honored Contributor

I think its you also. One of the joys in my life is the lovely smell of fresh coffee! Mmmmmm!

"Pure Michigan"