Trusted Contributor

Re: A look at "Christopher Kimball's Milk Street"--a new cooking magazine

I don't know if I'll buy it but I'm going to check it out on my Saturday visit to Whole Foods.

I found some of the ATK recipes to be really good (pork tinga), others not so much.

It always drove me crazy when a recipe would call for, say, 1 piece of white bread. I'm not buying a loaf of bread that I don't normally buy, just to use one slice.

That seemed gimicky to me. Still, I enjoyed all the ATK and Cook's Country shows and I'll be watching when the next season starts, sans Kimball.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Received my issue and read it from cover to cover. I'm not overly impressed. It's a lot like Cook's Illustrated, maybe a lighter version. I already get Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country and really like both of the magazines (although I'm one who misses Chris; I really do like him). At this time, I am not going to subscribe.

I've tried a ton of America's Test Kitchen recipes and only had trouble with one. From appetizers to soups, to sides, to main dishes, to desserts, they are good recipes. Their recipe for a layered coconut cake is the only one I will make, it's that delicious. I have a lot of their cookbooks and love their recipes. Yeah, they can be a lot of work, but I like to cook and bake, so, for me, it's not a lot of trouble.

I'm considering subscribing to SIFT, King Arthur's magazine. I do enjoy reading that one and the pictures are usually really beautiful.

Honored Contributor

@PamelaSue72 wrote:

Received my issue and read it from cover to cover. I'm not overly impressed. It's a lot like Cook's Illustrated, maybe a lighter version. I already get Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country and really like both of the magazines (although I'm one who misses Chris; I really do like him). At this time, I am not going to subscribe.

I've tried a ton of America's Test Kitchen recipes and only had trouble with one. From appetizers to soups, to sides, to main dishes, to desserts, they are good recipes. Their recipe for a layered coconut cake is the only one I will make, it's that delicious. I have a lot of their cookbooks and love their recipes. Yeah, they can be a lot of work, but I like to cook and bake, so, for me, it's not a lot of trouble.

I'm considering subscribing to SIFT, King Arthur's magazine. I do enjoy reading that one and the pictures are usually really beautiful.

@PamelaSue72

I would love SIFT too IF they made the type big enough for me to read!!!  Because of that I won't buy another issues.  They have plenty of room, but chose design over reader comfort.  I don't understand this especially when we are supposed to cook from the recipes!