Valued Contributor

Re: A graduation gift? Dont think so

[ Edited ]

For high school, I got a new dress from my mother  to wear to graduation, a suitcase from my grandparents to take to college and some cash from aunts and uncles but it was maybe $30 tops. As far as a graduation gift, I would have been okay with it but it would have to have been from someone who knows that I would use it. 

I went to a college with a work study program that allowed you to work extra hours to pay for books, medical and even meals. I graduated owing nothing but got around $100 for graduation this time around. 

Honored Contributor

I got a Spidel watch, one of the first digitals.  It was a funny shade of fake gold, but I didn't know much about jewelry at the time.  I think it was around $100.00, a lot of money back then.  You could buy the same watch today for ten bucks.

Trusted Contributor

I don't remember what I got, but I had to turn in the gas charge card! But, I think that if this os a good product, there is nothing wrong with this as a graduation gift. People can take their smoothies to work for lunch, etc. Plus, kids (and I am assuming she is talking about college graduation) are setting up their new apartments and this would be just fine.

Valued Contributor

Not the Blendjet 12oz under any circumstances which they are showing now on David's show. 

Trusted Contributor

it might be a good gift for a college graduate!

Esteemed Contributor

I got a rocking chair....a little out of the ordinary but it's what I wanted.  For college, I received my tuition and R&B paid for.

As for the blender or whatever it was, I could see this as a nice gift for a college graduate.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Super Contributor

Oops!  It's hard to remember back that long ago, but I think I got some luggage .  My birthday was in late May, and I also ended up with a manual portable typewriter (which had an unusual larger font and was very popular with friends writing term papers!).  I didn't get a car until I was a Jr. in college, but I worked all through school and my folks pitched in whatever $$ I needed.  No student loans for me!  Understand, I was/am a very frugal person, and first attended a community college, graduating from a state university.  Fifty years ago tuition was a whole lot less and if you took a full schedule you could graduate in 4 years.  College is much different today. . .Still. . . None of my 4 children incurred student loans for their undergraduate degrees.  It can be done. . .

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

Im watching Q2 ...Now You're Cooking Show.

Nope, sorry, the blend jet is a great product but a graduation gift...it is not a graduation present by any means or good intention. Sorry Melissa Epps, I adore ya but that is a stretch of a suggestion LOLOL

When I graduated high school in 1983 (before household computers) for graduation my mom gave me a used typewriter.. I dont think I ever used it and let a friend borrow it and never got it back, and I didn't care. We weren't rich but not dirt poor either. It was hard because I went to catholic school and some friends got cars or trips to Europe. I knew I'd never ever get that but a used typewriter was not what I imagined either. Such an ungrateful kid I know.

What did you get?      

@LizzieInSRQ 

I, too, was a graduate of Catholic school.  For graduation I received a gold crucifix necklace and money.  My parents paid for my college, what my scholarship didn't cover.  👩‍🎓

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

A Pioneer stereo system with massive speakers for my bedroom.  It was1980 so big speakers were the thing.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I got a suitcase.  Yup