Esteemed Contributor

Re: A Turkey, My Mom, Matches & Tweezers, Oh My

@Desertdi   Yeah, I wouldn't mention that.  lol   

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks to all for their holidays memories. It's nice to know my Mom wasn't the only one with tweezers and matches (or a blowtorch).

To all the turkeys who gave their lives so we can laugh about it decades later, thank you.

I hope everyone has as good aThanksgiving as you can during this most difficult year. 

Respected Contributor

I remember my mother getting up almost before the light of dawn to put the turkey in the oven.   There were only four of us in the family so the turkey wasn't all that large.

Why did our mothers start the turkey at such an early hour?  It seemed like it roasted for hours and hours.  

Were turkeys different in those days? Lol!   I haven't prepared a full turkey in quite a few years but when I did I remember it only took about 3 hours to roast.  

Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2     Maybe I shouldn't mention the lettuce that was floating in an INCH of dressing????

Happy Thanksgiving,  di

In my family, salad dressing was Miracle Whip.
Frequent Contributor

desertDi,  I think our mothers may have been related.  I didn't think I liked Roast Beef until I had it when it wasn't REALLY DEAD!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

I remember my mother getting up almost before the light of dawn to put the turkey in the oven.   There were only four of us in the family so the turkey wasn't all that large.

Why did our mothers start the turkey at such an early hour?  It seemed like it roasted for hours and hours.  

Were turkeys different in those days? Lol!   I haven't prepared a full turkey in quite a few years but when I did I remember it only took about 3 hours to roast.  

@J Town Girl wrote:

@J Town Girl 

Two reasons I can think of :

A stuffed turkey has to be cooked a lot longer than an unstuffed turkey.  So maybe your mom's turkey was stuffed and yours wasn't?  Or her turkey was bigger than yours?  I always cook a small stuffed turkey and I've never had one that only took 3 hours, not even close.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

My mom had a fancy schmantzy O'Keefe & Merritt gas range (1955-ish) & I remember her singeing off the pin feathers from raw chicken by holding it over the burner flame on the stove.  Those burnt feathers didn't smell very pretty!

Respected Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@J Town Girl wrote:

@J Town Girl wrote:

@J Town Girl 

Two reasons I can think of :

A stuffed turkey has to be cooked a lot longer than an unstuffed turkey.  So maybe your mom's turkey was stuffed and yours wasn't?  Or her turkey was bigger than yours?  I always cook a small stuffed turkey and I've never had one that only took 3 hours, not even close.

You're correct, my mother always cooked a stuffed turkey.  I've never put the stuffing into the bird.  I always make it on the side.  For the past 5 years or even longer we've just bought a turkey breast.  Since it's just my husband and I we've cut down on the amount of food that I prepare for Thanksgiving.   

Esteemed Contributor

@granddi : My MIL (who was very "fluffy") thought the only salad was Waldorf or made with Dream Whip.

Regular Contributor

Just catching up on your Thanksgiving memories.  It brought back memories of watching my mom using scissor-like tweezers to pull out the tail feathers.  Freaked me out.  I can remember saying, "uggghh....I'll never do that" and that was usually said when she had her arm up to the elbow inside the turkey cleaning it out.  Thanks to the current state of turkeys sold now, I don't have to!  As for cleaning them, it took me a few years of having my husband clean out the turkey that I finally accepted doing it.  Best was when we first moved to a new community, my neighbor called and asked if I'd come and clean her turkey for her.....sent my husband over!!