Regular Contributor

A Rant Against an LG Electric Range

Let me say straight up that purchasing this range was my own fault.  I did not do enough research.

I have had an LG ELectric Range (paid well over $600) for just about 6 months.  I've had problems from the very beginning.  Lucky for me, I also bought a 3 year extended warranty from the big box store I bought it from.

Long story short - the oven burns everything.  It doesn't heat evenly and the temp is never right no matter how much I adjust it.

LG did not have a tech in my area and so I waited over 2 months to have it fixed.  A tech came from an hour away and replaced almost everything that was replaceable.

Still having the same problems.  

ALso - beware that "Easy Clean" is not self clean and "Easy Clean" is definitely not easy.   This is not a self cleaning oven - what company would even continue to manufacture a range that didn't have a self cleaning oven.

So there ya have it.  I'll probably be waiting anothe 2 months to have someone come out and fix it again.

Lesson learned for me - the hard way - do more thorough research!

Honored Contributor

Re: A Rant Against an LG Electric Range

Getting a good oven can be a challenge. We had an old Kenmore that had an insane amount of variance. If you set it for 350 degrees, it would initially heat to a bit over four hundred degrees, then cool to well under three hundred degrees before it would heat back up to over four hundred. Sears said the oven was fine as the average temp was three-fifty. Uh, no. Things that cook quickly, like cookies, would need constant monitoring. One batch might cook in eight minutes when the oven was overheated and the next batch might take twelve to fifteen minutes if the oven was in the cooler portion of the cycle. When it came time to replace it, I bought a GE that advertised a very accurate oven and it's been perfect. There's maybe a twenty-five degree swing from hottest to coolest instead of a nearly two hundred degree swing.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Im sorry you are having trouble with your stove.  I have heard horror story after horror story about LG appliances.

I have a friend who had an LG fridge, it did not work right from the beginning.  After a couple of years getting it "fixed" regularly,  she demanded another new fridge.  She had the extended warrenty too.  Her replacement was a Kenmore since she bought it at Sears.  She is happy as a clam.

You might try asking them if they can replace your stove with another brand name.  Good luck.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the warning. We are going to remodel our kitchen soon and of course we'll get new appliances. No LG for sure. Very frustrating to have to deal with those problems - sorry you're going through this. Hope you get a new stove.

Honored Contributor

@hick wrote:

Let me say straight up that purchasing this range was my own fault.  I did not do enough research.

I have had an LG ELectric Range (paid well over $600) for just about 6 months.  I've had problems from the very beginning.  Lucky for me, I also bought a 3 year extended warranty from the big box store I bought it from.

Long story short - the oven burns everything.  It doesn't heat evenly and the temp is never right no matter how much I adjust it.

LG did not have a tech in my area and so I waited over 2 months to have it fixed.  A tech came from an hour away and replaced almost everything that was replaceable.

Still having the same problems.  

ALso - beware that "Easy Clean" is not self clean and "Easy Clean" is definitely not easy.   This is not a self cleaning oven - what company would even continue to manufacture a range that didn't have a self cleaning oven.

So there ya have it.  I'll probably be waiting anothe 2 months to have someone come out and fix it again.

Lesson learned for me - the hard way - do more thorough research!

Do they come by horse & buggy??

This is not acceptable.

Don't keep blaming yourself, put blame where it belongs

Trusted Contributor

l have an GL stove and I  love it. I have 2 burners the I can change for what size of pan I'm using also a warming burner which I also use as a candle warmer .

I'm wondering if you are using the right oven mode. Mine I can use either regular mode or convection.  Convection is hotter and faster.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd be at the store talking with the manager about working out an exchange.  I know they probably don't want to talk with you, but it sounds like the stove was bad from the onset.  If they won't talk, ask for the store manager.

I had a problem with a snow blower bought from Sears.  The first year it had to be serviced every time I used it.  Long story short, I exchanged it for a different model.

I don't like to be pushy or throw my weight around, but sometimes you have to.

Regular Contributor

Thanks everybody for the kind words and understanding!

My one year warranty is with LG.  After May 1, my warranty is with the big box store.

I'm going to try and get a new stove with the LG people - ha!!!!!

Then we will see what happens.

Valued Contributor

My "never again" appliance brand is Samsung. Replaced a very expensive french door fridge after only 5 years. Known issue and no help from company.

I replaced it with an LG French Door fridge 3-4 years ago and still love this one. Have had my LG front load washer and dryer for 10 years and still love them. Many of my friends bought LG washer and dryer based on my recommendation and they also love them.

Respected Contributor

I believe that LG owns both Whirlpool and Kenmore.  The Kenmore fridge I bought back in October has an identical twin LG model that just costs more.  Most of the American companies have been merged with Asian ones.  There are lemons in everything.  I would get what you could afford and with features, you would actually use.  If not, it is more to break.  I also believe in as mechanical a product as possible.  My new fridge only has digital temp controls with no ice in the door or water.  I do miss the convenience but the sink is only a few feet away.   My ice maker is huge compared to the ones in the door.  Now, most French door models have two ice makers to make enough ice for Americans.  Side by side models have much smaller ice makers that take up so much freezer space, so I did switch to a French door model and I wanted the width of the full fridge without the bending over that usually loses things in the fridge in traditional models.