Honored Contributor

A Not-So-Expensive Bread Machine

I have had a  number of bread machines over the years and now have a large and mini Zojirushi that we love and use frequently.  They are the champs and have lasted many years for us. 

But about a year ago I had coupons and cash back and bought a Cuisinart CBK-110 Bread Maker from Williams Sonoma for a little less than half price and I have to say that it is easy to use and turns out a really nice loaf of bread.  

I'm very happy with the way it works, the controls and settings, and it has a great little cookbook with it.  I have used it sometimes when I need to make two kinds of bread for a party or pizza doughs or just "because."  It is light weight, easy to use and store and all in all makes a very good loaf.

It is not as heavy, not as sturdy as the Zo's, but for the price, if you want to try out a bread machine or use one occasionally, it makes good loaves!

Honored Contributor

Re: A Not-So-Expensive Bread Machine

I wanted to buy a Zo but never have. We basically use our machine to make dough with. DH does not like the shape of the loaf the machine makes.

He uses a Norpro 12" x 3.5 x 4 bread pan to bake it in.

They have a Hamilton Beach bread machine at Wal-Mart for $38.

Trusted Contributor

When my husband was living, he made bread all the time. I never used the machine.  Lately, I've been thinking about getting an inexpensive, easy-to-use machine. I miss that bread. 

Honored Contributor

@Foolywooly11 wrote:

When my husband was living, he made bread all the time. I never used the machine.  Lately, I've been thinking about getting an inexpensive, easy-to-use machine. I miss that bread. 

@Foolywooly11  I'm sorry your husband isn't with you now.  I know it is difficult.

If  you want to try out the bread machine, just post on here and I'm sure you'll get lots of tips and help!  

Respected Contributor

I think buying a less expensive brand is great for those who occasionally want bread or to learn to make bread.  The difference between a Zo and the others is how much you use it and the length of time it will last.  I bake all our breads and breads for gifts.  I need the reliability of a Zo.

Honored Contributor

@brandiwine wrote:

I think buying a less expensive brand is great for those who occasionally want bread or to learn to make bread.  The difference between a Zo and the others is how much you use it and the length of time it will last.  I bake all our breads and breads for gifts.  I need the reliability of a Zo.

@brandiwine

I don't have a Zo. We use our bread machine all the time to make dough. We don't eat or buy bread from the store.

We make bread, rolls, buns etc.

I'm on my 2nd machine. The first one still works but the belt is slipping.

Bought a Panasonic to replace my Westbend that was only about $40. Used it for years.

I don't think it matters what the brand is if you are making dough like we do. 

Bread Machines make a weird shape size loaf of bread that we don't like.

I know you can do other things with the Zo but doubt we ever would so never bothered spending the amount of money they want for their machines just to make dough with.

Honored Contributor

I just cook for myself now and I bought the mini Zo because a lot of times the only item I needed from the grocery store was bread or English Muffins.  Been making my own bread for 3 years now and only buy store-bought rolls for Christmas.   I got the mini Zo because I don't have much counter space and I like to leave it out since I make bread once or twice a week.  It has served me well.  Also, when I do want to move it out of the room, the handle makes it easy.  Small footprint and the one pound loaf works well for me.

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner: Thanks for the kind words. I'm gonna check out the machines, & will need some tips (my husband talents in the kitchen by far exceeded mine)!

Honored Contributor

@Foolywooly11 wrote:

@Sooner: Thanks for the kind words. I'm gonna check out the machines, & will need some tips (my husband talents in the kitchen by far exceeded mine)!

@Foolywooly11  We will be here!  You might go on the manufacturer's website and look for the manual for that model (or just google it) and find instructions and recipes.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm currently researching/shopping for a breadmaker so this thread is timely! So far I'm leaning toward the Cuisinart CBK-110. Lots of info out there to help the decision-making process!