Honored Contributor

Looking in my pantry, and thinking ahead, I am thinking back also and reminded of some of my food memories of the late 1950's early 1960's.

I think we sometimes don't appreciate canned food enough.  It is inexpensive, basic, and there's a lot to be said for it's convenience.  

For those younger, I'll say we used more canned food in the 1960's because food came from the U.S. and was mostly shipped by rail, which was slower, but far cheaper than trucking, and wasn't as costly and hard on the roads or use so much fuel.  Remember that the interstate system was non-existent or being built.  It was the brain child of President Eisenhower. 

We didn't have a great variety of produce like now because it was mostly local--which was very limiting in the winter.  Foods that are common now in stores were not shipped in from other countries nearly so much.  And it didn't come in airplanes. 

Kitchens were small, most appliances unknown, and fridges were tiny.  There wasn't a lot of frozen boxed food.

Until the mid to late 1960's nobody had a microwave.  My dad bought the first one he ever saw because my mom went to work and for many years we were like the Jetsons having that thing!  LOL!!!!  People would come to see water boil in a Pyrex measuring cup in a minute. 

Most women didn't work; money was tight, and food was very very basic. 

So, my pantry is now reverting to more canned food, fewer fresh produce, and for at least now is more basic.  But it also has much greater variety than the "old days" and I have many more spices, flavors, and variety to draw on.  

So I am not doomed to peanut butter, bologna sandwiches on Wonder bread, and frozen pot pies.

But I'm also ok to live a little simpler, rely on less and shop  infrequenty because of my "heritage" kitchen knowledge. 

Honored Contributor

Re: A Look Back at 1950's Food

Some things I stocked up on or replenished were Siracha, Dijon mustard fresh ginger, different vinegars etc.  These condiments jazz up pantry items and frozen veg. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

and my grandmother was the best canner I ever knew.  Boy was her stuff good.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner -

Hey! Don't knock bologna on white bread and frozen pot pies lol!

(though I'm a vegtarian now).Woman Happy

I enjoyed reading your post!

I remember making things as a game from the refigerator when we got home from school. 

My sister and friend and I would create concoctions from what we could find.

And I sometimes like to let everything dwindle down to nothing in the refirg to see what things I can put together!Woman LOL

Ever tried lettuce on wonder bread with mayonnaise?! Nothing like it lol!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay  Me knock bologna and white bread?  That's what I have for my birthday and Christmas every year.  With lots of Hellman's mayo!  I could live on it!  Well, or maybe bad choice of words!  LOL!!!!

Can't go wrong with white bread and mayo!  LOL!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner -

Haha so true! 

We both have such great taste!Woman LOL

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner 

What a lovely, thought out post.  I'm so tired of reading how Baby Boomers "still like these gross foods" and complaints of how we ate/eat.  Life was what it was and I think for many younger folks, they can't fathom rotary phones, party lines, drinking from a garden hose, staying out until the streetlights came on, skate keys, saddle shoes, and they have never enjoyed a glass bottle of Coke coming out of a soda machine still icy and only costing a dime.  And we recycled those bottles!  They seem to have difficulty interpreting how we were raised based on their influences of technology in gadgets, foods, travel, etc.   You explained things extremely well.  

Honored Contributor

@mustang66lady  Thank you!  Yes and not having an allowance, returning Coke bottles was my main source of income in those days!  LOL!!!  And Cokes now are "flat" compared to those!

My husband drank prune juice (Dr. Pepper) and SWEARS he remembers when it was a nickle.  But he's younger than me and is lying!  Woman Very Happy  Or confused! Woman Tongue

Honored Contributor

I'm excited!  I am off to get a grocery pickup and I have some Eggbeaters in it! Couldn't get eggs!  

Valued Contributor

With this pandemic, and Utah earthquakes, pantries are being filled with non perishables, and freezer foods are being bought up too. What about the fruit anf vegetables? I was hoing to see some good deals, nothing yet. I did find a veggie tray with dip for $5 so bought one. But I'm just not buying anything that I can't use up in the next few days.  UNLESS I see irresistible sales.