Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@novamc1   Try the dried fruit, vegetable fried rice, and potstickers from Trader Joe's.  They are inexpensive and very, very good.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

We have 2 Aldi and I just never think to go there. 

Thank you for the reminder. 

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Priano is actually one of Aldi's many own private label brands. Just about any brand you never heard of in their stores is owned by them. There are several websites with a list of their brands, one example below.

aldi house brands.JPG

Valued Contributor

I heard on the radio last week that Aldi is on track to become the 3rd largest grocer in the US behind Kroger and Walmart.  I think the story said they had stores in 38 states now.  I like shopping at Aldi.  My only wish is that they would put ropes similar to a bank so the checkout is next in line.  Sometimes it's hard to tell if the line for an open register stretches down an aisle and it's embarrassing to appear to be cutting in line.  :-)

I am hoping the availability of their frozen items improves in the near future.  They have a frozen shrimp, cheddar, bacon "burger" that is totally wicked.  

Respected Contributor

@ceekay wrote:

I heard on the radio last week that Aldi is on track to become the 3rd largest grocer in the US behind Kroger and Walmart.  I think the story said they had stores in 38 states now.  I like shopping at Aldi.  My only wish is that they would put ropes similar to a bank so the checkout is next in line.  Sometimes it's hard to tell if the line for an open register stretches down an aisle and it's embarrassing to appear to be cutting in line.  :-)

I am hoping the availability of their frozen items improves in the near future.  They have a frozen shrimp, cheddar, bacon "burger" that is totally wicked.  

That is quite the accomplishment regarding their growth especially since Kroger owns a long list of other stores including Ralph's, Smith's, and King Soopers. We do not have an Aldi our area, but if we get one I will certainly give it a try.

This summer if COVID numbers remain low, I would like to travel to a Wegman's to see what it is all about. We have HEB which offers quality products at a fair price, and their store brand is top notch.  If anyone has shopped both, please let me know how they compare. I think Wegman's must offer a much larger range of merchandise.

Frequent Contributor

It's a mix.  There are some things we like at Aldi, some we don't, and I keep a list of which is which.  We enjoy some of their ice cream, bakery stuff, condiments, the breaded chicken filets, some produce and coffees.  

Don't care at all for their house brand of chips or yogurts and many other things.

Prices are generally quite a bit lower than other nearby markets, and Aldi came through for us when you couldn't find white vinegar for love or money.

Trusted Contributor

I am very fortunate as I live in an area with multiple markets within 20 miles of my house. Most are within 5 miles (Aldi, Lidl, Shop Rite, Weis, Wegmans, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Acme, Hennings, Landis, 2 Giant food stores, McCaffreys, Target and a couple of Walmarts.) 

Aldi (and there are 3 of them in my area) is a store that you have to keep checking in as the items/inventory change a lot. You really cannot depend on finding the same item multiple times. Not a supply chain issue, just the way Aldi stocks items. But the deals are very good and their produce is typically excellent. 

The best store in my area, in terms on one stop shopping/getting everything on your list without having to go to multiple stores, is Shop Rite. (these stores are locally owned, so pricing depends on who owns your store). While Shop Rite is not always the least expensive, the pricing is competitive and I am almost always guaranteed to get everything that I want in one trip. Bonus for me is that there is an Aldi right across the street from Shop Rite so I can shop both in one trip. 

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@hayseed00 wrote:

@spiderw   Aldi has the best chicken salad in both the large and individual containers, delicious!!!!

It has ingredients that I personally don't eat, but my sister loves it  

I do like the chicken salad but it doesn't have as much chicken in it as do those at other stores.  Of course, their prices are higher.  

Honored Contributor

I was delighted to find pasture raised eggs today, cheaper than I pay at the local organic farm. 

Trusted Contributor

I like Aldi's and usually go once a week.  They have a wide array of gluten free products and their produce section is top notch.  I save quite a bit compared to other places.