Honored Contributor

Re: $99 for a roasted cooked turkey🙀

@KYToby wrote:

Think an iem costs too much?  Don't buy ot!

It really is none of your business how others spend their money -- unless you are prepared to open up your purchases for criticism.

Why get snarky, she is entitled to her opinion.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@KALLIE wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

People pay $400 for a handbag.  I don't see the difference. 

Probably because an expensive handbag lasts for a long time. Food DOESN'T, so there is a BIG difference.

BUT, the bag can't make a lasting memory for the whole family at a holiday meal!  So I'd be more concerned about that. . . I can assure you that some Thanksgivings I would have HAPPILY paid $200 for a good turkey at the moment.  People are laughing and having a good time and asking if the turkey is ready and I'm in the boiling hot kitchen pouring sweat and looking at it and worrying.  Yeah, I would have gladly forked over 2 bills for that. 

You can have a "lasting memory" with turkey as your holiday meal. Buy a fresh turkey for way less and roast it yourself. You don't have to be in the kitchen while the turkey is in the oven. NOT too hard to figure out.

Respected Contributor

KYtoby, Cranky much?

Honored Contributor

Ah.... time again for my Ham story.  

My last food purchase from QVC.  $69 Springfield ham.  I bought one a year or so before and it was one of the best hams we've ever had, so I ordered what I thought was about the same ham.  When it arrived, it had an opaque wrapping so I couldn't look at the actual ham and didn't unwrap it to do so.  Thanksgiving was a few days away and I put it in the fridge until I was ready to heat it.  When I took it out of the wrapping the first thing I noticed was how huge the bone was, far larger than those I've seen in my experience. Then there was the fat!  It was loaded with fat and that's what made me run out to the grocery store to buy another ham to put with this one because there simply was not enough meat for my dinner.   The grocery store had a few left, all under $25 and I could "see" into the wrapper.  Beautiful, lots of meat, tasty, not salty, etc.  

I served both together but I have to tell you that the one I picked up at the grocery store was far better than the one I got from the Q, what little there was there!!  I think charging $69 for that ham was a travesty and I will not do that again!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

HAHA must be the same people who buy lobster tails for $199Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am one of those people who buy Maine lobster tails from Lobstergram.  They are delicious!

I would not pay $99 for a roasted turkey but I probably spend almost that much every year for a Honeybaked ham.  

My Favorite Breed is Adopted

Esteemed Contributor

So Thanksgiving nite, around 11pm...ask me how much I would have paid to let someone else do all the work  😣

WS, Neiman, all charge about the same.

While I do consider it all a labor of love, I am beat when it's done

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
@KYToby wrote:

Think an iem costs too much?  Don't buy ot!

It really is none of your business how others spend their money -- unless you are prepared to open up your purchases for criticism.

@KYToby  Please don't assume that we are being critical of how anyone spends their money -- simply expressing amazement at the price of an 11- pound turkey.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Most of us on this particulr board have some interest in cooking..after all, it IS a kitchen board..

We know that cooking a turkey is not really all that tough..I dry brine for a couple days, then stick it in the oven..Frankly, it is the simplest part of a  Holiday meal..for ME..I cook..

But i can totally understand how it would be worth it if I did NOT... Just look at how busy resturants are on Thanksgiving ..Many, many folks go out to celebrate either with their families, or because they no longer have much of one..

And while many of us have grocery stores, etc that prepare a holidy meal for a reasonble price, it is not particularly good, nor is it available everywhere..For that reason, I think it is great that it is offered..

Everyone is different..a chaque son gout!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I only was surprised it was a turkey! Maybe its just me!

@KYToby: As far as the snarky remark  I'm not saying anything about how anyone spends their money!  

I was only stating its a "turkey" not a lobster dinner (which I recieved as a bday gift - Lobstergram..delicious!)