Honored Contributor

Re: $99 for a roasted cooked turkey🙀

[ Edited ]

@KALLIE wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@KALLIE wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

People pay $400 for a handbag.  I don't see the difference. 

Probably because an expensive handbag lasts for a long time. Food DOESN'T, so there is a BIG difference.

BUT, the bag can't make a lasting memory for the whole family at a holiday meal!  So I'd be more concerned about that. . . I can assure you that some Thanksgivings I would have HAPPILY paid $200 for a good turkey at the moment.  People are laughing and having a good time and asking if the turkey is ready and I'm in the boiling hot kitchen pouring sweat and looking at it and worrying.  Yeah, I would have gladly forked over 2 bills for that. 

You can have a "lasting memory" with turkey as your holiday meal. Buy a fresh turkey for way less and roast it yourself. You don't have to be in the kitchen while the turkey is in the oven. NOT too hard to figure out.

What's NOT hard to figure out that what you spend on what kind of food is strictly up to to the person spending it.  It is nobody else's business whatsoever.  I know you can do most of what we do in life "cheaper" but maybe that's not our main concern.   So why even speculate on stuff like this.  Most of what we do can't be held up to examination for "is it as cheap as we can do it."  No, most of what ALL of us do isn't. . . 

Unless you are serving the turkey with chips and dip, how are you "not in the kitchen" while it is baking?

I have cooked and served and cleaned up after at least 43 Thanksgiving dinners, and believe me yeah, a lot of times I'd have given you 200 for a turkey and not batted an eye.  But that's ME.  It was an ordeal and I don't have to do it any more.  Get up at 5 a.m , wash it, wrestle it into a pan and throw it in the oven, make the dressing, cook the sides, cut up the turkey and plate it, keep everything hot put the bread in the oven, make the tea, get it to the table, serve it, haul in the leftovers and DEAL WITH THAT, load the dishwasher, and on and on and on.  So really?  The cost of the turkey is a very minor item.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't mind making the turkey. I would never spen that much for one.  I have my family bring a side dish or dessert and that makes it easier on eveyone. No one minds bringing something...

Because of food allergies in the family, I prefer to know what is in my food.

Esteemed Contributor

I make turkey, so I wouldn't pay that much for a turkey.

I think I paid more than that for a turduckin (chicken in a duck, in a turkey) a few years ago.  It was great and it is something I would not make.  I don't know if I would do it again though.

Honored Contributor

I guess I don't understand why people are bothered by the price of food on the shopping channels.  They have food shows so often, they must be money-makers.  Many people must be willing to spend the money for their own reasons. (hope my response is not seen as "snarky".  it's my opinion also.)

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I guess I don't understand why people are bothered by the price of food on the shopping channels.  They have food shows so often, they must be money-makers.  Many people must be willing to spend the money for their own reasons. (hope my response is not seen as "snarky".  it's my opinion also.)

Exactly  because most American's buy things that are "too much" daily.  From expensive things to cheap things like shampoo, we spend more than we "have to" all the time.

Honored Contributor

Does anyone here REALLY think that when your wake up alarm goes off, the turkey in  repose in your refrigerator hops out, and after a leisurely stretch and a comforting cool shower, dusts him/herself lightly with sage and thyme and hops into a cozy oven, unmolested for a few hours to emerge crispy brown, and after reclining on a platter proceeds to the dining area?

Not in MY house!

My choice would be seeking out a local restaurant and having them send soup to nuts before DH woke up, but since I can already envision the look of hurt and hear the quietly murmured ".....but it won't taste right, like YOU cook it....." I grimly resign myself to doing it every year, and in spite of myself, every year, fo one reason or another, it's just as much fun.

Beats me why.......

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

Not snarky at all.....  In my particular case, if the ham had been as wonderful as it had been the other time I purchased it then the price = worth would have been worth it to me....   Yes, I got a better ham (IMHO) for 1/3 the cost at the last minute at the supermarket to supplement the one that I bought from the Q.... but my particular point was that the quality was not consistent yet the price was extremely high, but I'm willing to pay for convenience and quality.... Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

The turkey, as with all foods from Q or online food providers with S&H included, has an additional $15 minimum tacked on.  That five pounds of dry ice ups the cost significantly.  Still, expensive but sometimes convenience is worth the extra cost.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Boston Market would be much easer!  

Super Contributor

Several years before she passed away, my mom purchased a Smithfield ham from QVC for our family's Christmas Eve dinner, after hearing how wonderfully delicious it was on one of the cooking shows. She was extremely disappointed in it. For one, it was way too salty. She vowed never again, and the following year, she went back to the tried and true store bought ham, which was so much better. BTW, she always purchased a butt portion instead of a shank portion. Smaller bone in the butt portion, but it does cost more than the shank.