Honored Contributor

Re: $9.00 for a 3oz. crab cake?

All I can remember are the horrid cr(a)p cakes from the past---and will NEVER buy again!! I don't care who makes them!!! I make better ones anyway!! And for a lot less $.

Regular Contributor

WAGirl: You're thinking about the Chesapeake Bay crab cakes. They were really good when they first came out, but when they switched from Maryland Crab to blue swimmer crabs from the wastebeds of Southeast Asia they went downhill faster than an avalanche.

Don't think you have to ever worry about them coming back. Ron and Margie, the owners turned vendor reps, were kind of permanently kicked off the island when they were caught faking 5-star reviews. They opened a restaurant, and it too went south rather quickly.

If anyone wants to try making their own, which aren't much harder than making meatloaf, try Googling "Robert Duvall's mother's crab cakes." I assume it's still on the web. It was highlighted on Oprah's show a few years back and became the most requested online recipe ever at the time.

Respected Contributor

Never liked the original Chesapeake crab cakes. Found that a very good seafood market in Allentown, PA sold a plastic 16 oz. tub of excellent extra jumbo lump uniformly-sized crab meat for approx. $24: Maryland or Venuzuelan when in season. Make and freeze our own crab cakes. Usually, a double cake and bake it.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Super Contributor

On 10/19/2014 KYToby said:

Why does it matter? If people wish to purchase them, good for them. We all spend mone on things others would find to be senseless and extravagant? Do you really want to open up yourself to similar criticism?

The OP didn't say it "mattered, " she was making an observation. Nor did she say no one should purchase them. Don't criticize someone for giving an opinion. If you have a differing opinion, try to find a nicer way to say so.
Trusted Contributor

On 10/20/2014 RespectLife said:

Most restaurants around here charged $14.95 for a single crabcake.

Bobby Chez are NOT Maryland style crab cakes...totally different. They have a roux inside, a crunchy outside coating and are not filled w/ stuffing and binders. Not something you would easily replicate yourself. A Maryland style crab cake, yes.

They freeze terrific, last forever and you can pull out just one or two for a meal. Easy to bake from frozen.

Fresh, REAL jumbo lump crab is practically non-existant in my area. Frozen bags injected w/ solutions and chemicals are available.

We LOVE them, have had them on AD since he first brought them. When Q didn't have them for a while, we purchased direct. Q prices (esp. w/ EZpay) are better than direct.

RespectLife, glad to see your review. I agree it's great to have something like this in the freezer.

We don't have any access to any local crabcakes, and I certainly can't make them. So this is a great option for us. I guess it may be pricey to some folks, but to us it's a treat.

Honored Contributor

On 10/20/2014 boby said:

WAGirl: You're thinking about the Chesapeake Bay crab cakes. They were really good when they first came out, but when they switched from Maryland Crab to blue swimmer crabs from the wastebeds of Southeast Asia they went downhill faster than an avalanche.

Don't think you have to ever worry about them coming back. Ron and Margie, the owners turned vendor reps, were kind of permanently kicked off the island when they were caught faking 5-star reviews. They opened a restaurant, and it too went south rather quickly.

If anyone wants to try making their own, which aren't much harder than making meatloaf, try Googling "Robert Duvall's mother's crab cakes." I assume it's still on the web. It was highlighted on Oprah's show a few years back and became the most requested online recipe ever at the time.

Ron and Margie were faking five-star reviews? LOL. They must have been desperate. I'd have never guessed based on their on-screen personas.

Occasional Contributor

On 10/20/2014 QMaven said:
On 10/19/2014 KYToby said:

Why does it matter? If people wish to purchase them, good for them. We all spend mone on things others would find to be senseless and extravagant? Do you really want to open up yourself to similar criticism?

The OP didn't say it "mattered, " she was making an observation. Nor did she say no one should purchase them. Don't criticize someone for giving an opinion. If you have a differing opinion, try to find a nicer way to say so.

QMaven, Thank you!

Honored Contributor

On 10/20/2014 boby said:

Yes those are the ones I mean--I even tried the shrimp cakes---just as horrible---- and needed to kick myself for thinking they were any better. But I did get my $$ back from both and promptly threw the nasty things away!!! {#emotions_dlg.scared}