Honored Contributor

Re: $8 a jar for spaghetti sauce?

you can purchase a $2 jar of spaghetti sauce OR you can purchase a $12 jar of spaghetti sauce.......and any price in between in our general area. it all boils down to the quality and your own personal taste.

at $8 a jar with a 100% money back guarantee it is probably worth it for some people to try. dont like the sauce? call qvc and they will give you a full refund with no return required on food items. donate the rest of the jars.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Spaghetti sauce is much better homemade. Not bought in a jar. In fact, simple marinara sauce is so easy to make, less than 20 minutes, & tastes so much better than something made long ago & jarred. Try it. You'll like it.

Honored Contributor

What I'm about to say is going to make some of you cringe.   Don't scroll down if you're one of those people who faint at the sight of canned foods.

faint.gif

Okay, for the rest of us....

When I don't have time to make my sauce, I open a can or two of Hunt's sauce and start doctoring it up - sometimes mushrooms, onions, garlic, bell peppers, meat.... whatever the rest of the meal calls for.  In my opinion, it always turns out delicious and I never pay more than $1 for a can.

Screen Shot 2019-05-26 at 12.27.43 PM.png

I've tried them all, including Rao's, which I don't think was worth the extra money.  

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

house_cat, yes, canned tomatoes are the ONE canned item I use. I'm sure your sauce is great. Agree, all jarred or otherwise store bought pasta sauce leaves something to be desired.

Honored Contributor

Prego and Ragu for us we're not fancy folk. LOL

Honored Contributor

Thee are several brands of spaghetti sauce that costs over $8.00 in my local supermarket just like there are some that are quite a bit less.  I prefer to get organic sauce so I'm willing to pay a more. 

Of course I can always make my own but I usually don't have the time or patience to do so.

Esteemed Contributor

I always make my own pasta sauces.   Have never purchased jarred sauces so I cannot comment.  

Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

What I'm about to say is going to make some of you cringe.   Don't scroll down if you're one of those people who faint at the sight of canned foods.

faint.gif

Okay, for the rest of us....

When I don't have time to make my sauce, I open a can or two of Hunt's sauce and start doctoring it up - sometimes mushrooms, onions, garlic, bell peppers, meat.... whatever the rest of the meal calls for.  In my opinion, it always turns out delicious and I never pay more than $1 for a can.

Screen Shot 2019-05-26 at 12.27.43 PM.png

I've tried them all, including Rao's, which I don't think was worth the extra money.  

LOL i use it too!  My friend used it with the brasciole he served and I raved about it and he opened the pantry and it was stocked with Hunt's sauce.  His wife is Sicilian too!

Honored Contributor

Tried Raos and really was not that impressed; it was on sale too. I can't make red sauce to save my soul--but I did try a brand called Daves Gourment--and it was by far the best tasting sauce in a jar. Was also on sale for $5 a jar. 

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I live in NYC and there is an Italian restaurant, Michael's of Brooklyn. They make a sauce that is supposed to be out of this world. They sell it in the supemaket for $8 a jar. I'm sorry, bt I'm not spending that kind of money on a jar of sauce!

Every Christmas my brother brings a bunch of Michael's of Brooklyn jars. It is good but so are many others. Guess my brother thinks we can't get pasta sauce here