Trusted Contributor

$8 a jar for spaghetti sauce?

I am constantly amazed at what people are willing to pay for food on QVC. Obviously I am not in the majority because if it didn't sell, they wouldn't have such prices. But really? I buy such tasty marinara sauce for a $1-$3 at the grocery store, why would I pay $8 a jar?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: $8 a jar for spaghetti sauce?

In my opinion there is no better jarred sauce than Raos. When it’s on sale I stock up.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

I was just thinking that Rao's can be $8 per jar, and it's worth it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in NYC and there is an Italian restaurant, Michael's of Brooklyn. They make a sauce that is supposed to be out of this world. They sell it in the supemaket for $8 a jar. I'm sorry, but I'm not spending that kind of money on a jar of sauce!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mama Mancini's meatballs/sauce is really nothing to write home about, let alone worth $8 a jar for just sauce; and sodium content high!  Make my own scratch spaghetti sauce and have used Bertolli jarred sauce available at the grocer. Don't make meatballs so purchased Mancini's to see if I liked them--the sauce was weak--had to add wine, seasonings, tomatoes, etc to enhance flavor. Some foods offered by QVC are good, others not so good but most have high sodium content in the frozen/prepared meals offered.

Super Contributor

Another vote for Rao's.  I think it's $6 something at Walmart in Florida.  Next best is Victoria Trading Old World Marinara.  Walmart used to carry it, but my store doesn't have it anymore.  I think they replaced it with Sam's Choice, which isn't bad.  I believe other stores carry Victoria products at a high price than $3.48 WM was charging.  In any event, it's very good.  Tastes like homemade.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not surprised at the price. I have heard that Rao's is great, and when I go to an old fashioned "red gravy" restaurant, I expect good sauce - which is like Rao's and the like. The good stuff seems to be pretty expensive at my local supermarket. For my cooking, I make everything myself, and keep the ingredients as close to fresh as I can. I don't usually cook the tomatoes enough to make a gravy.

Esteemed Contributor

I buy the Victoria brand sauce which is close to $8 in my area unless it is on sale.....and i wait for those times to pick up a couple jars....so very tasty

Super Contributor

It is expensive...but one of the best readymade sauces out there...I keep an eye for it when on sale...Costco sells in a pack of three for a good price... I have heard Ina...and...David say at one time...it was their favorite go to..when not,making there own...

Respected Contributor

We favor the Victoria Marinara sauce. It can be very expensive but we get two 40 oz jars for $12 at Costco.