Respected Contributor

Re: $70. For a cheesecake. oMG

ABSOLUTELY NO WAY would I EVER spend that much on cheesecake, unless it was being spoon fed to me by a hunk of a man,lol.... MUCH too expensive!! I am on a fixed income, & that seems extravagant to me!!

Honored Contributor

Thanks @Pook.  Do you have the actual recipe?  I'd like to try it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

This is a restuarant size (5 lbs) exceptional cheesecake.  Regular size cheescakes are only 3 lbs.  I like Juniors, as well as The Cheesecake Factory, on the rare occassions I eat cheesecake.  I serve cheesecake among my desserts at either Thanksgiving or Christmas.  I was thinking about ordering The Cheesecake Factory's pumpkin cheesecake, same size, and it was $80, plus $10 s/h.  That puts it $20 over the comparable QVC Junior's Cheesecake. 

@Caaareful Shopper  For years we could not order from the Cheesecake Factory because there was a local deli by the same name and CF signed an agreement that they would have no presence in NM.  We weren't even in their drop-down box on their Website

Well, the owner of the deli finally retired and went out of business, and the CF announced plans to build here which they did.  In the interim, I decided to order one of their cheesecakes.  It seems as though they'd sold their mail order business to Harry and David.  What I got in no way resembled the CF product in size or quality.  I did get a double order because they sent the wrong flavor, but it was a sorry excuse for cheesecake.

Moral of my story: Don't get mail order CF cheesecakes.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  Here is the recipe.  It does come out way better using the best ingredients (I did try using cream cheese other than Philadelphia cream cheese).  I use really good Mexican vanilla and it makes a huge difference.  Also make sure to use extra large eggs.  I did not notice any difference using unsalted or salted butter though.

It's not that difficult - just time consuming - but well worth it!!  I've been using a KA hand mixer which does take a bit more time.

JUNIOR'S SPONGE CAKE CRUST

INGREDIENTS   

1. For one 9-inch cake crust
    • Softened unsalted butter, for buttering the pan
    • 1/3 cup sifted cake flour
    • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
    • Pinch of table salt
    • 2 extra-large eggs, separated
    • 1/3 cup sugar
    • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    • 2 drops pure lemon extract
    • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
    • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
  2. For one 8-inch cake crust
    • Softened unsalted butter, for buttering the pan
    • 1/4 cup sifted cake flour
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    • Pinch of table salt
    • 2 extra-large eggs, separated
    • 1/4 cup sugar
    • 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    • 2 drops pure lemon extract
    • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
    • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

PREPARATION

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and generously butter the bottom and side of a 9- or 8-inch springform pan (preferably a nonstick one). Wrap the outside with aluminum foil, covering the bottom and extending it all the way up the side.
    2. In a small bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together.
    3. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks on high for 3 minutes. With the mixer running, slowly add 2 tablespoons of the sugar and continue beating until thick light yellow ribbons form in the bowl, about 5 minutes more. Beat in the extracts.
    4. Sift the flour mixture over the batter and stir it in by hand, just until there are no remaining white flecks. Blend in the melted butter.
    5. In another clean bowl, using clean, dry beaters, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar together on high until frothy. Gradually add the remaining sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form (the whites will stand up and look glossy, not dry). Fold about one-third of the whites into the batter, then the remaining whites. Don't worry if you still see a few white specks, as they'll disappear during baking.
    6. Gently spread the batter over the bottom of the prepared pan and bake just until set and golden (not wet or sticky), about 10 minutes. Touch the cake gently in the center. If it springs back, it's done. Watch carefully and don't let the top brown. Leave the crust in the pan and place on a wire rack to cool. Leave the oven on while you prepare the batter for the cheesecake.

INGREDIENTS

1. For one 9-inch cheesecake
    • 1 recipe 9-inch Junior's Sponge Cake Crust
    • Four 8-ounce packages PHILADELPHIA cream cheese (use only full fat), at room temperature
    • 1 2/3 cups sugar
    • 1/4 cup cornstarch
    • 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
    • 2 extra-large eggs
    • 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
  2. For one 8-inch cheesecake
    • 1 recipe 8-inch Junior's Sponge Cake Crust
    • Three 8-ounce packages PHILADELPHIA cream cheese (use only full fat), at room temperature
    • 1 1/3 cups sugar
    • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
    • 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
    • 2 extra-large eggs
    • 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream

PREPARATION

1. The day before you plan to serve the cheesecake:
    1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Make and bake the cake crust as directed and leave it in the pan. Keep the oven on.
    2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment if your mixer has one, beat 1 package of the cream cheese, 1/3 cup of the sugar, and the cornstarch together on low until creamy, about 3 minutes, scraping down the bowl several times. Blend in the remaining cream cheese, one package at a time, beating well and scraping down the bowl after each.
    3. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat in the remaining sugar, then the vanilla. Blend in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in the cream just until completely blended. The filling will look light, creamy, airy, and almost like billowy clouds. Be careful not to overmix! Gently spoon the batter over the crust.
    4. Place the cake pan in a large shallow pan containing hot water that comes halfway (about 1 inch) up the side of the springform. Bake until the edge is light golden brown, the top is light gold, and the center barely jiggles, about 1 1/4 hours. If the cake still feels soft around the edge, let it bake for 10 minutes more (the cooking time will be about the same for both the 8- and 9-inch cheesecakes). Remove the cheesecake from the water bath, transfer to a wire rack, and let cool for 2 hours (just walk away—don't move it). Then, leave the cake in the pan, cover loosely with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until completely cold before serving, preferably overnight or for at least 6 hours.
  2. On serving day:
    1. Release and remove the side of the springform, leaving the cake on the bottom of the pan. Place on a cake plate. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Slice with a sharp straight-edge knife, not a serrated one, rinsing the knife with warm water between slices. Refrigerate any leftover cake, tightly covered, and enjoy within 2 days, or wrap and freeze for up to 1 month.

The Junior's Way

Always bake the cheesecake in a water bath as they do at Junior's. It keeps the heat in the oven moist and helps the cake bake slowly, gently, and evenly. It also helps to ensure that your cake will have a smooth top, with no large cracks.

Reprinted with permission from Junior's Home Cooking:

Honored Contributor

@Pook  Thank you so much for troubling to post this recipe.  It does sound a bit complicated.  I sure it'll be worth it.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

This is a restuarant size (5 lbs) exceptional cheesecake.  Regular size cheescakes are only 3 lbs.  I like Juniors, as well as The Cheesecake Factory, on the rare occassions I eat cheesecake.  I serve cheesecake among my desserts at either Thanksgiving or Christmas.  I was thinking about ordering The Cheesecake Factory's pumpkin cheesecake, same size, and it was $80, plus $10 s/h.  That puts it $20 over the comparable QVC Junior's Cheesecake. 

@Caaareful Shopper  For years we could not order from the Cheesecake Factory because there was a local deli by the same name and CF signed an agreement that they would have no presence in NM.  We weren't even in their drop-down box on their Website

Well, the owner of the deli finally retired and went out of business, and the CF announced plans to build here which they did.  In the interim, I decided to order one of their cheesecakes.  It seems as though they'd sold their mail order business to Harry and David.  What I got in no way resembled the CF product in size or quality.  I did get a double order because they sent the wrong flavor, but it was a sorry excuse for cheesecake.

Moral of my story: Don't get mail order CF cheesecakes.

Whoa!  @Kachina624  I appreciate that info, thank you!  I did consider ordering.  There is a CF in the next town over, from me, so I might get one slice just to see if their quality went down overall, or just the H&D mail order. 

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper  I had lunch with cheesecake at our new CF this summer and it was the same as I've had at the King of Prussia Mall store while visiting my sister in PA.  You can buy a whole cheesecake in their restaurants and it's not the product from Harry and David.

Frequent Contributor

For many years I have purchased Juniors cheesecakes for the holidays. One year I purchased two for Christmas. However, this is the first year that I have not because of the drastic jump in price. 50 plus dollars was a stretch but we like Juniors so I purchased them. From $50, to $60 and now $70 is way too much. I believe Juniors and the Q have outpriced themselves on this item. I do not want to do easy pay and have to pay for a cake long gone. Now easy pay on a Dooney and Bourke or a Louis Dell Olio jacket is worth it.! I feel very strongly that Juniors have out priced their cakes this year. It is sad - many of us truly enjoyed their marvelous cheesecakes!

Respected Contributor

Many years ago-back in the 80's, one of my girlfriends and I wanted a cheesecake, and buying quality ingredients would have set us back forty-six bucks. ( one of the more expensive ingredients was a small bottle of Amaretto).....we ended up not making it because of the expense. I would not buy that 70 dollar cheesecake due to dietary restriction, but if you use top shelf best of the best, seventy dollars doesn't sound unreasonable.

I tell you what was a shocker to me: a couple of weeks ago on the Community forum, Sidsmom posted food offerings from that store I personally call "Needless Markup"....at their prices, I could probably hire a celebrity chef, pay his/ her air fare, and put the chiefly up in a nice hotel.... Nothing against that store or the prosperity of those who can afford to pay $300 for mashed potatoes....

Poodlepet2

Trusted Contributor

While I have not tried that particular Junior's cheesecake that @Pook posted the recipe for, I can tell you that I've tried several cheesecakes from the Junior's Cheesecake cookbook and every single one that I've made has been delicious. Simply delicious. I do not eat cheesecake (I don't care for the texture of cheesecake), but my family and friends have all said that they are simply wonderful desserts. I would recommend any of the cheesecakes in that book, including making the spongecake crust.

The Strawberry Swirl and the Peanut Butter Swirl cheesecakes (both from Junior's 50 Cheesecakes Cookbook) are outstanding, according to those I've served both of these cheesecakes to. There is also a Black Forest Cheesecake that, I think, came from that particular book as well....I know it's a Junior's recipe. Simply delicious. I remember that it went over very, very well.

Yes, they are more work than the average cheesecake. But they are well worth your time and effort. You won't be sorry.