Honored Contributor

We were able to get slices of the Rainbow cake for $2-3.00. It was delicious,but I still wouldn't pay $60.00 for it. Oh,I forgot we got the slices at Walmart.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm surprised no one had mentioned Costco sheet cakes that are amazing. I once ordered one for a family celebration honoring our Son's and DIL's small wedding ( delish).  Was watching Cake Boss and decided to Google Carlos Bakery price list; their birthday cakes start at $70-$100.

Esteemed Contributor

I have paid more for a good cake from an outstanding local bakery.

Would never pay that for a days old shipped cake.

Honored Contributor

@patbz 

Years ago I needed a full sheet cake I got it at Sams.  I will admit it was moist and the icing was yummy except the buttercream left a "shortening" taste but that's just "my" perspective.

Everyone must have enjoyed it as they asked for seconds.

I am hosting a bday party for spouse (🤞🏻) in July as we missed the "big" one due to pandemic so guess what based on your review I think I'll go there🙂.  My guests are more interested in the good food vs. dessert😉...lol

As for Carlo's save your $$$ my son ordered the rainbow sprinkled cake for gd bday ... it was well over $59 and from what they said "it was just OK".

Of course, we all have different "taste buds" 🙂🙂

Honored Contributor

My personal problem is paying the $59 and end up having the cake taste 2nd rate.  My experience with Q's food has been very disappointing and I've tried many items.  The best IMHO was a Junior's cheese cake made for Christmas and chocolates offered at Christmas.  I've tried cakes, steak, ham, sides, cookies, etc. and didn't find any of them worth the price (to me).  So I've decided not to buy anymore. I have to admit, it's tempting to just pay for the item and have it delivered.  And today most stores where I live will shop for you and deliver it (for a fee).

The wonderful thing is that everyone is free to do what they feel is "worth it".... and we all have different tastes.  Yay for that, huh?

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

@lovemybichonfrise wrote:

I get promotional emails from Savannah Candy Kitchen.  I just left their site and they had the same three cakes on ITKWD--all were $79.95 and free shipping along with a 10% discount on items if you signed up with a mobile phone number.  I am tempted to order the coconut cake for July 4th.

In April, we had a small gathering for my niece who graduated from Gettysburg College in PA without a ceremony.  I ordered a cake from a well-known bakery in my area of central jersey.  To anyone in this area of NJ will know about Delicious Orchards.  I paid $50 for an 8" 3-layer cake with custard cream, strawberries and bananas covered with whipped cream with pink flowers and her name.  Also had Italian pastries and a fresh fruit salad.  That cake was worth every penny just to see the look on my niece's face.  My brother told me she was very depressed and sad that she was not going to have a graduation celebration so we accomplished making her feel her hard work was acknowledged by the people that love her.  Sometimes its not about money.

Ah yes!! Delicious Orchard in Colts Neck. Always stopped there on the way home from down the shore. Excellent quality cakes as well as pies. Strawberry rhubard pie could knock your socks off. lol

Your nieces cake sounds delicious. Totally worth every penny.Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: $59 for a cake?

[ Edited ]

My favorite local bakery is one town over from me, called Pastries by Randolph.  Magnificent cakes for special occasions.  I've purchased their Mixed Fruit Shortcake -- 10", serving 14-16 people (which is exactly the size of the $59 Delizioso cake).  The Shortcake at Randolph's costs $59.75, and I have to drive and pick it up myself.  It can be served as the second wedding cake at a reception, or anniversary party cake, or other special gatherings. Definitely worth the price!  To me, that's the quality of cake the Delizioso cake can be compared to.  

Esteemed Contributor

For special occassions , I have purchased a Carmel Cake from River Sweet Treets  which was very good, just carefully follow thawing instructions. I have aslo purchased caskes from O & H bakery which is a Danish bakery  and the cakes were good.

Buying the frozen cakes are pricey and the shipping is not cheap but I have been pleased with my purchases. I did  try one cake from QVC  that was from  Bartolo "Buddy" Valastro Jr. the baker from NYC , Carlo's bakery , I was not very impressed.

Honored Contributor

The issue I have with ordering Q food is that the consumer takes the hit (via the pricing) for all the returns, refunds, etc. for all the dissatisfied customers who are receiving refunds for the products.  On food items, those charges are very high.

I think people should buy what they want, pay whatever price for what they want, but I don't like to see people ripped off for their purchases.  I think Q food is a rip off.

However, let me also say, the comparison made in the OP is the proverbial apples and oranges situation.  Not accurate.

Respected Contributor
A similar sized cake at my local bakery’s at least $60. Their parking lot is terrible to get in and out of and they’re only open the same hours I work during the week. So yes, I can see the appeal of this product.