Trusted Contributor

I find it very hard to see why someone would pay $59 (on sale from $65) for a single cake.

I have a coconut cake in my freezer right now that was $5.95 purchased at my local grocery store. I could order $10 of those cakes and have them delivered. I think all of the food at the Q are overpriced, but this takes the "cake."

Honored Contributor

While I agree with your assessment and my days of buying food on the Q are done, there's always a service out there for some people.  There are people here that count on Q's food and happily buy it and look forward to it.  Something for everyone....  Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Although I would not pay $59.00 for a cake, I know many others would and I'm certainly not going to judge them. Many people can obviously afford the prices that  QVC charges for food or they would stop selling food items. I did purchase the Mama Mancini's meatballs and sauce once when it was a one time only price and they were quite good. 

Respected Contributor

Large two layer cakes are not inexpensive, even from local bakeries where they can run easily $45 to $50 for an everyday cake. That is actually an excellent price. Less expensive than the vendor's website. Plus the shipping is included in the price. Savannah's charges shipping, and at this time of year an up charge for summer delivery.

To me it's nice to know you can send a quality product, which they are, to friends and family for a celebration, thinking of you, or just because.

Esteemed Contributor

Perhaps it is time for Q to go back to the days when they sold food and added S&H instead of building the S&H into the price with "free shipping",

At today's shipping rates I figure a minimum of $20, most likely even more, is for the built in "free shipping".

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Re: $59 for a cake?

[ Edited ]

As someone who bakes a lot, there is a huge difference between a $5.95 cake from a local grocery store and that cake!  I want quality and taste and a cheap grocery store cake is not going to do it for me.  I am not fond of most cakes but I know when I do make a cake I spend a good bit of money because I use the best ingredients - not to mention my time and electric/gas. and it's well worth the price and effort!  There is a difference.

Honored Contributor

Wait,wait are arguing about the price of a product from the Q?

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Esteemed Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Wait,wait are arguing about the price of a product from the Q?

@Group 5 minus 1  Ironic isn't it!  I have banned myself from commenting any more on discussions about price.  I've said enough on the topic!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Etoile308 wrote:

Large two layer cakes are not inexpensive, even from local bakeries where they can run easily $45 to $50 for an everyday cake. That is actually an excellent price. Less expensive than the vendor's website. Plus the shipping is included in the price. Savannah's charges shipping, and at this time of year an up charge for summer delivery.

To me it's nice to know you can send a quality product, which they are, to friends and family for a celebration, thinking of you, or just because.

@Etoile308Cakes the same size are not $45 or $50 in local bakeries. QVC food prices are outrageous. As long as people are willing to pay their inflated prices they will continue to sell.

I bought Jr's cheesecake in Costco for $14.99, and Mama Mancini meatballs in my local grocery store for $6.99. So you do the math on what they are making charging these prices.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Too many posters think that just because someone questions the price of a food item that they can't afford it. Everyone has a different  idea of what is a value. Everyone has a different budget, but some just wouldn't spend that much on a cake. I've been mostly disappointed by food that I've ordered, but I'm on my third order of bread from Essential Baking Co.  When it's worth it, it's great .  If anyone thinks ordering bread is crazy, I completey understand, I don't take offense.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan