Respected Contributor

Re: 5 minute self-heating entrees!

I don’t know this would be practical as my family’s only source of sustenance in the event of a natural disaster, but there are few things as sustaining as s hot meal when everything is in upheaval.
Honored Contributor

@house_catI think if a family were buying for themselves, they wouldn't need all that much.  I'm thinking of the weeks I've been without power during wicked snowstorms as well as the weeks a hurricane took the power.

I see products like the meals as something that relief agencies might also be able to use -  assuming quantity purchases would make them more affordable.  Lots of survivors of natural disasters suffer through months or even years of deprivation.  I know I've been much luckier than they.

Honored Contributor

Just for comparison, this Smart Ones meal is also 9oz. I can't imagine how many would be needed to sustain a two people for a few days, let alone a family. 

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 4.43.47 PM.png

I live with the constant threat of devasting earthquakes. I'd like to say I'm prepared, but I'm not.  Still, I'd be much more likely to stock up on canned beans, chilis and soups. Granted they aren't self-heating, but they'd keep us alive.

In any case... to all who purchased it.... buon apetite and thank you for all the reasonable comments.  It's always  interesting to hear other perspectives.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@RedTop Does she have a HotLogic?  It's good for heating things up.  It's a set temperature so it takes awhile to heat, but also will not overcook.  I think a frozen entree like a Lean Cuisine would take about 2 hours, but there's a way to use them plugged into the cigarette lighter, so she could use it on the road.  That may be an accessory to do that. 

I got one for hubby for use on his sailboat.  He does have a little microwave, but doesn't like to use it because even that small amount of wattage causes the lights on the dock to dim.  They make a mini which would heat up your typical individual frozen dinner and a regular size that's for a 9x13 dish.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess,

Yes, she does carry something in the truck to safely heat her food.   I suggested she look for a very small crockpot, like the Little Dipper, just to warm her emergency stash of canned soup and Chef Boyardee stuff that she eats when they stop the truck due to road closures, and truck repairs.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@Icegoddess,

Yes, she does carry something in the truck to safely heat her food.   I suggested she look for a very small crockpot, like the Little Dipper, just to warm her emergency stash of canned soup and Chef Boyardee stuff that she eats when they stop the truck due to road closures, and truck repairs.   

@RedTop, The advantage of the HotLogic is that you can heat and eat in the same dish if you like, so you don't even have to clean up the unit.  And, you're not limited to something that would fit into the little crock.  Google it, there are videos on how to use it.  I would post a link, but it would probably get deleted.