Honored Contributor

Re: $38 for 12 pieces of chocolate candy, Really?

I've paid that and more for good chocolate. Not saying this offering is good because I've never tried it, but the price seems okay to me.

In the winter here, I buy Hoffman's chocolates - they comes in various size boxes, but I just checked the price for 12 oz, - $20.95. I'd take that if I were headed to dinner where I knew it would be okay to take candy.

If I'm buying for my own home, I prefer to buy loose chocolates, so I can choose what's in my assortment. I don't think I could do that online. Seems to me that cost more per ounce last season, but I truly don't remember and I'm staying away from Hoffman's for a few months. Nothing to do with price though.

Honored Contributor

On 12/5/2014 KYToby said:

When I see complaints like this, it saddens me to see that so many people have no clue what decent, premium chocolate costs.

Sorry to depress you. Some of us don't appreciate fine chocolate, or we have other priorities. At any rate, Kellogg's liked this chocolate so much it named a cereal after it: Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory Chocolatey Almond Cereal ($3.68 at Walmart).

Trusted Contributor

I happened to catch the presentation. Like the OP I thought for 12 pieces the price was high. Until they compared a normal peanut butter cup with the Rocky Mountain one. This is really like 36 pieces due to the size.

Honored Contributor

On 12/5/2014 Johnnyeager said:

ok everyone, I know that I shoud not buy this. Any one giving up any options?

The chocolate is very good. They use quality chocolate and ingredients. In the stores they make many of the things there, especially the apples. They melt the chocolate in a copper vat, it is fun to watch. Most of the candies come from the larger factory. But they sill make the chocolates in small batches, and they still have "lucy and ethel" hand dipping and wrapping.

I think Rocky Mountain would make a great, special gift. Chocolate is not cheap as Koby stated, it isn't. They don't use extenders and fillers, so you get the real thing! JMHO

I bought the 48oz box for my Mom, who is a huge fan. For a gift, the 2 lb box is a great gift. IDK if I would buy the 12 pack Jill was selling for a gift. They are to die for, but the pieces are huge. I might get them a sampler

Honored Contributor

I have never heard of Rocky Mountain but I know there are several high end quality chocolate brands that sell for that price. I live near Seattle and Fran's chocolates is probably about that price. I would rather have a small piece of really good chocolate than a large box of drugstore chocolate.

Respected Contributor

Rocky Mtn chocolate is very good. We have a store here, I went this week and got some things. It's much better than HL and better than See's IMO. Worth the price point.
Respected Contributor

Omg...this company makes awesome candy. Their dipped Apple's are delicious and put Mrs.Prindables to shame. These candy pieces are large!!. It seems kinda outrageously expensive,but in my opinion,worth it! Ok,I need to go to the mall and get an apple.
Honored Contributor

On 12/5/2014 DiAnne said:

I have never heard of Rocky Mountain but I know there are several high end quality chocolate brands that sell for that price. I live near Seattle and Fran's chocolates is probably about that price. I would rather have a small piece of really good chocolate than a large box of drugstore chocolate.

OMG!!!! Fran's salted caramel too die for. She also has a stuffed fig, I wish I had this very instant. I think I am going to go order a box NOW!

ETA

I just bought the smoked salted caramels. I wanted the truffle stuffed figs. They went up to 48 bucks for 8! Next time

Frequent Contributor

I just returned home from our local Rocky Mtn Chocolate Factory store and assorted chocolates are $19.99 a pound. One bear, which is like a very large turtle, is 3.20.

So, I guess QVC's price is actually pretty fair for this item.

Respected Contributor

This week I went to a Rockt Mtn store and got 7 ounces of this candy for $8. So over two pounds for $38 is a good price, comparable to the price at the store.