Honored Contributor

20 Famous Desserts That Have Faded into History!

[ Edited ]

I just saw a video of "20 Famous Desserts That Have Faded Into History" on youtube.  Very interesting!  Some preperation was shown, all of the desserts had been made!

I had heard of a few, but not all!

How many of these have you had?

Respected Contributor

Re: 20 Famous Desserts That Have Faded into History!

[ Edited ]

@ECBG  I've made pineapple upside down cakes, cherries jubilee, and ambrosia from those 20 Famous Desserts Smiley Happy.  I have a ton of cookbooks from the 50's, 60's and 70's so I make retro famous desserts whenever I like.  I just made a Boston Cream Pie last month from one of my cookbooks.  This was a fun youtube video to watch.  Thank you, ECBG! Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I remember having German Chocolate cake and chocolate mousse back in the day....and I still make them. I'm not into Funfetti anything or peanut butter deserts. 

Esteemed Contributor

Here's the list, in case anyone else didn't feel like watching an 18-minute video Smiley Wink :

Chiffon Cake
Jell-O Salad
Fondue (Chocolate and Cheese)
Viennetta
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Ambrosia Salad
German Chocolate Cake
Grasshopper Pie
Tunnel of Fudge Cake
Bananas Foster
Black Forest Cake
Baked Alaska
Harvey Wallbanger Cake
Cherries Jubilee
Crepe Suzette
Rum Baba
Lady Baltimore Cake
Dacquoise
Charlotte Russe
Tom and Jerry

I had never heard of a "Tom and Jerry," but I've tried all of the other desserts on this list that I would try (some have ingredients I really dislike), and I've had many if not most of them within the past 10 years, so I wouldn't consider that too far "faded into history." Part of that could be attributed to watching a lot of baking shows and being inspired to test things out, but German chocolate cake and black forest cake are favorites in my extended family, so we have them somewhat often. And I actually just made a pineapple upside-down cake last month.

Esteemed Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

Here's the list, in case anyone else didn't feel like watching an 18-minute video Smiley Wink :

Chiffon Cake
Jell-O Salad
Fondue (Chocolate and Cheese)
Viennetta
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Ambrosia Salad
German Chocolate Cake
Grasshopper Pie
Tunnel of Fudge Cake
Bananas Foster
Black Forest Cake
Baked Alaska
Harvey Wallbanger Cake
Cherries Jubilee
Crepe Suzette
Rum Baba
Lady Baltimore Cake
Dacquoise
Charlotte Russe
Tom and Jerry

I had never heard of a "Tom and Jerry," but I've tried all of the other desserts on this list that I would try (some have ingredients I really dislike), and I've had many if not most of them within the past 10 years, so I wouldn't consider that too far "faded into history." Part of that could be attributed to watching a lot of baking shows and being inspired to test things out, but German chocolate cake and black forest cake are favorites in my extended family, so we have them somewhat often. And I actually just made a pineapple upside-down cake last month.

@loriqvc Thank you for posting the list! 

Esteemed Contributor

@loriqvc 

Thank you for sharing the list. I did not want to go watch a video to get the list of desserts.

There were 3 desserts I had not heard of, but upon Googling the names below, I realized I had tried the desserts, I just didn't know their official names.

Lady Baltimore Cake
Dacquoise
Charlotte Russe

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Trusted Contributor

One can still find Black Forest cakes at ethnic bakeries in New York city.

And I would be surprised if no one was making pineapple upside down cakes anymore.

My mother used to make a chocolate mousse pie.  I think it had 100,000 calories per fork-full, but it was worth every bite.

Respected Contributor

I've made pineapple upside down cake, chiffon cake, and tunnel of fudge.

Thanks for posting the list!

Honored Contributor

I make my nephew a Tunnel of Fudge cake every year for his birthday.  I plan on including the recipe in my wedding shower gift later this year for his future wife.

Honored Contributor

My grandmother was "famous" for her Broken Glass Cake...

Visual search query image

♥Surface of the Sun♥