Respected Contributor

I would certainly be willing to give them a try! I just tend to like non sweet pancakes..i like lots of really sweet stuff too, believe me- MonteCristo Sandwich with jelly is my fave, for example...

Super Contributor

These aren't pancakes, they are cake. Warmed. Most commercial cake mixes list sugar as the first ingredient, with refined white flour and lots and lots of preservatives. This is just about the worst you could do for breakfast, or even a snack for that matter. I discovered galettes, a fabulous, easy and delicious pancake alternative. And you can add fresh fruit or natural preserves as well.

Galette It's oat bran, egg, plain Greek yogurt, and a little cinnamon if you like. They cook like a pancake, are light and fluffy and just loaded with fiber, protein and vitamins. Super delicious too.

Ingredients (Serves 2)
2 whole eggs or egg whites if you suffer of cholesterol problems
3 tablespoons of oat bran
3 tablespoons of 0% fat Greek yoghurt

To cook

1. Using a whisk, mix all the ingredients in a bowl until you have a liquid and smooth batter. If you notice the batter looks a little too thick, add a bit more yoghurt
2. Lightly grease the bottom of a non-stick pan
3. Pour in half of the mix and cook the pancake on medium heat until golden brown on both sides
4. Repeat step 3 to cook the second pancake

Respected Contributor

My Mom used to make something called "Pongee Pancakes" -I remember they had eggs, flour and cottage cheese..They were dreamy...

Did anyone else used to eat them?

Trusted Contributor

The idea of using cake mix is horrible,. and so is using pancake mix for that matter. Pancakes from scratch are vastly superior, and quite frankly only require measuring a couple of more ingredients than these "2 ingredient" monstrosities.

Respected Contributor
It might be a good quick desert maybe done in a waffle iron and topped with whipped cream (:
Trusted Contributor
On 2/25/2015 Mothertrucker said:

while the flavors sound intriguing, i feel that overall they would be too sweet, call me madcap, but I really like my pancakes with only butter, no syrup even...

Oatmeal is eaten by me with butter and salt, just like grits and cream of wheat...

Am I the only one?!

When I fix steel cut oatmeal, I enjoy them with only a bit of butter on them, too! Sometimes I add a little cinnamon.

Honored Contributor

My grandmother from Germany used to make the best pancakes...I think they were called pfannekuchen and were like crepes.

I never got the recipe and haven't been able to find one either.

Trusted Contributor
On 2/25/2015 Barbarainnc said: I saw this on the net. Mix 2 cups of cake mix and 1 cup of milk. Make pancakes! ? I haven't tried these yet.

Thanks for sharing.

This is worth a try at least once and I would say is good if you find you don't have eggs, or maybe you or someone in your family has an egg allergy.

I suppose you could put in some add-ins, too. I rarely make just plain pancakes. I usually throw in some chocolate chips (usually Ghirardelli). This past weekend I added some Nestle Delightfulls Dark Chocolate Morsels with Cherry Filling. They were good. In the fall, we like pancakes with thinly sliced apples and cinnamon.

My kids love Funfetti cake. I bet that would be good.

To those who said these are not pancakes, they actually are--in the truest sense of the word...they are cakes you make in a pan. Wink

Gloria

Esteemed Contributor

No health food poop takes the place of wanting pancakes with oodles of syrup!!! For those of us who enjoy pancakes occasionally, this sounds like it is worth a try!

Esteemed Contributor
On 2/26/2015 Azcowgirl said: It might be a good quick desert maybe done in a waffle iron and topped with whipped cream (:

There ya' go. They don't have to be breakfast, or even a main course. Think outside the box{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines