Trusted Contributor

Re: 1st summer of my life - had no sweet corn!

[ Edited ]

I so look forward to fresh local corn on the cob and locally grown tomatoes - they are my best summer treats.  I stopped at a farmer's stand and picked up a few ears of corn and 3 tomatoes - the man went on & on about how good they were and told all about the family farm not too far away.  I thought they were pricey but heck....I do look forward to it each year.  When I cooked the corn (even added milk & sugar to the water) and sliced those nice red tomatoes....it all tasted awful.  I don't think cattle would have eaten that corn and the skin on the tomatoes was so thick & tough I had to spit it out.  Sadly, it really turned me off to both for this summer.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Esteemed Contributor

My Mom made killer corn fritters too.  Whenever my sister and I meet for lunch and see them on the menu we get them.  Do put maple syrup on yours or are you a purist and eat them plain?

Respected Contributor

FYI............making corn on the cob is the easiest thing, even for one person. How hard is it to boil an ear of corn? Summer goes fast & so does fresh corn. Don't deprive yourself of this most deliciously wonderful summer enjoymentSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I have had corn on the cob several times this year.  I actually find it relaxing to husk.  We buy local 1/2 dozen at a time.  I usually peel all my corn at one sitting and refrigerate.

Most sweet corn varieties are different now then way back when.  My Dad grew Silver Queen back 35-40 years ago.  Those were the days when people had the water boiling while the corn was being picked.  The corn harvested now stays fresher and sweeter longer.  It doesn't get starchy.

If I find an exceptional variety of sweet corn, I parboil; cut it off the cob and freeze in small zip lock bags for that fresh taste during the winter.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   After 47 years of marriage, Shopping  and Cooking for One has been one of the harder things for me to learn this past year, so I 'get' your complaint about bothering with corn. 

I'd like to share with you a You Tube video that has changed how I clean corn.  If you follow this man's instructions, I promise it will work.  I have been following his method for a few years; and so far this Summer, have many single-serving bags of cooked corn cut from the cob and in the freezer for the coming Winter months.  I know from experience that when I re-heat it, it will taste as fresh as the day I cooked it. 

If interested, go to You Tube and search for Shucking Corn - Clean Ears Every Time 

P.S.  To answer your question about uses for corn, I have a terrific Chowder recipe I'll be using as soon as the Fall temperatures kick in.  Also fry some kernels 'til they start to jump in the skillet, then add to black beans + a few other things for Quesadillas.  That was one of my DH's Summertime favorites.  "Whistle" if you'd like the recipe(s). 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I don't do anything but eat it off the cob because I love it so much that way.  I usually throw it in the microwave for a couple of minutes with a damp paper towel around it, boil it or steam it.  

I put butter and salt on and eat!  I don't like the kernals to be too small, or gigantic, and I am not a fan of the supersweet varieties.  

Field corn and "sweet" corn are both delicious when not too big.  If it's been in the fridge a week it is still good! 

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2   After 47 years of marriage, Shopping  and Cooking for One has been one of the harder things for me to learn this past year, so I 'get' your complaint about bothering with corn. 

I'd like to share with you a You Tube video that has changed how I clean corn.  If you follow this man's instructions, I promise it will work.  I have been following his method for a few years; and so far this Summer, have many single-serving bags of cooked corn cut from the cob and in the freezer for the coming Winter months.  I know from experience that when I re-heat it, it will taste as fresh as the day I cooked it. 

If interested, go to You Tube and search for Shucking Corn - Clean Ears Every Time 

P.S.  To answer your question about uses for corn, I have a terrific Chowder recipe I'll be using as soon as the Fall temperatures kick in.  Also fry some kernels 'til they start to jump in the skillet, then add to black beans + a few other things for Quesadillas.  That was one of my DH's Summertime favorites.  "Whistle" if you'd like the recipe(s). 

@IamMrsG  Thank you for telling us about that You Tube video. Amazing! I cannot wait to try this method tonight. 🌽 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I couldn't go a summer without fresh sweet corn! I found an easy and quick way to cook it a few weeks ago (instead of boiling a pot of water!)

Remove husks and silk; Rinse with water (crucial step); Wrap in Waxed Paper (like wrapping a taco); Cook on High in microwave for 2 to 3 minutes, depending on the size of the kernals. Be careful removing the corn because it's really hot.

This is a great way to cook an ear of corn or two, and it tastes great! Slather some butter, salt and pepper on it - doesn't get any better!

Respected Contributor

@Mj12    Good morning.  I read that you were going to follow the You Tube video I recommended.  If you did, I'm interested to hear how it turned out for you.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Super Contributor

Fresh corn part of my growing up. Corn and tomatoes was a complete dinner. 

And then I found out that all corn, grown in this country, are sprayed with ROUNDUP.

8,000 plus pending lawsuits against the company for non-hodgins lymphoma. Until I can grown my own, corn is off the menu.