Honored Contributor

Re: 11 casaroles!

[ Edited ]

I have probably 20 9x13's alone, and that doesn't include 11x7's, 8x8's or round and oval ones (or anything in my Corningware collection). 

Yeah, I've got a problem.

Trouble is, at least 15 of those 9x13's are matching to sets of dinnerware/serveware patterns that I have extensive collections of. And I only have one of each pattern, not multiples where I could say to myself "You only need one Old World blue 9x13", because I only have one in each color/pattern. It wouldn't make sense to get rid of the only piece in that size that I have for each pattern/color. 

So my approach is to begin to choose patterns/colors to completely unload. I've already listed for sale one huge set of Pfatlzgraff, but having trouble getting someone to take the 100 pc set off my hands locally (not interested in shipping that many pieces). I'm only asking $200 for the set. At $2 per piece, for things like complete soup tureens, covered crocks, lidded casseroles, coffee pots and tea pots and other big pieces, it's a heck of a deal. I'm just waiting it out until the right person see's the ads locally. I have had a lot of interest if I wanted to ship, but that is such a hassle.

Esteemed Contributor

I went through this a while back. I had all my mother's casserole dishes, plus casseroles and other assorted dishware from my wedding shower, gifts & purchases over the decades.

My mother cooked for 6 people. I don't need anything that big. I took about half to Goodwill, and I only left what I will use at least once a month in my kitchen cupboards.

Stashed some attractive pieces in the dining room cabinets, and stored the rest in the basement.

I have pieces I only use once a year, or only during harvest season. Realized those are just in the way in the kitchen.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Mothertrucker  I use the bowls that match my china when I put out food for company.Why would I use a mismatched casarole dish instead?

Why must they be mismatched?  All of my dishes and serving pieces coordinate.  I only buy things that work together.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I have probably 20 9x13's alone, and that doesn't include 11x7's, 8x8's or round and oval ones (or anything in my Corningware collection). 

Trouble is, at least 15 of those 9x13's are matching to sets of dinnerware/serveware patterns that I have extensive collections of. And I only have one of each pattern, not multiples where I could say to myself "You only need one Old World blue 9x13", because I only have one in each color/pattern. It wouldn't make sense to get rid of the only piece in that size that I have for each pattern/color. 

So my approach is to begin to choose patterns/colors to completely unload. I've already listed for sale one huge set of Pfatlzgraff, but having trouble getting someone to take the 100 pc set off my hands locally (not interested in shipping that many pieces). I'm only asking $200 for the set. At $2 per piece, for things like complete soup tureens, covered crocks, lidded casseroles, coffee pots and tea pots and other big pieces, it's a heck of a deal. I'm just waiting it out until the right person see's the ads locally. I have had a lot of interest if I wanted to ship, but that is such a hassle.

So are you saying that you have 15 complete sets of dishes? Why????

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Where on earth do you store all those dishes?You complain about your DH being a hoarder - I don't think he is the only one.

Frequent Contributor

I have five 9x13's.  Stoneware, corning, 2 pyrex and a wilton.  But at Christmas they might all get used!  Two 1-1/2 quart corning with lids.  Many times both are in use.  They're great for veggies in the microwave.  A 3 quart corning that is most often used for chili or soup leftovers from the crock pot.  A 7x11 and one or two others.  I'm up there too.  It depends on how large the family and how much entertaining you do.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Where on earth do you store all those dishes?You complain about your DH being a hoarder - I don't think he is the only one.

Where do you store 15 sets of dishes?  Two in the kitchen cabinets, two in the dining room china cabinet, 3 in the kitchen china cabinet, one in the top of a guest room closet, 2 in the attic, 3 in the garage cabinets, one in the bar shelving if you don't have lots of booze, and one small one in a shelf in my closet.  

And maybe some of them you only have service for six.  Then there are bigger sets and a stack or two of extra plain plates in the garage for buffets.  

A hoarder is someone who has piles of trash around and is overwhelmed and doesn't know where to start cleaning it out.

Having a lot of dishes is not hoarding if you love them and have room for them.  Just means you like dishes and probably have a lot of company and like to have people come over and eat and have fun.

Honored Contributor

Hypocrisy, thy name is....