Honored Contributor

❄️ ❄️❄️Can You Freeze This? ❄️❄️❄️

Respected Contributor

Re: ❄️ ❄️❄️Can You Freeze This? ❄️❄️❄️

IMO milk doesn't taste good after it's been frozen.  Thanks for posting this chart. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the chart.  I've wondered about yogurt but have never tried freezing.  The chart seems to suggest that, once frozen and thawed, yogurt isn't as good straight from the cup.

Honored Contributor

One thing to know about freezing cheese is that it does make it crumbly once it's thawed out.  So, if it's something that you would be grating, or otherwise using to melt into something and NOT for slicing, it's the perfect remedy.

Another thing I'd add about most things is that, short of vacuum sealing, you won't have the pristine results you may require.   

In my freezer, everything is vacuum sealed unless it's dry goods like nuts, seeds, etc - items that don't have moisture.  Those go into airtight containers.

Well, except when I buy a large quantity of almonds I DO vacuum seal them.  I keep one L&L container of almonds, for immediate use, in the refrigerator and I take the rest of the bulk and measure them to the size of that L&L container and vacuum seal them accordingly.  That way, each time I bring out a new bag of almonds, they pour right into the L&L container and fill it up exactly.  Smiley Happy   It's also easier to store the bulk amount of almonds in my freezers because they are in bags and don't have to be stacked, or have some huge container fit, etc. 

That's what works for me anyway.  

Respected Contributor

Freezing milk is tricky, and I've never had it work. It seems to go off as soon as it's thawed.

I've had no problem freezing rice that's been cooked and refrigerated for two days, so I don't know what they're talking about on that point. 

The list lacks time frames for many of the items. The one for chicken applies to whole chicken only, not parts. There's also no guide to freezer temp, an important consideration.

For a bit more of an authoritative list, although not nearly as colorful, see the FDA's roster at https://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/ResourcesForYou/HealthEducators/UCM109315.pdf

Valued Contributor

I have froze milk, comes out a little icy but, good. I buy 5lb blocks of mozzerella, freeze it after cutting and seal a meal closing, now I have found  that chedder does not freeze well, I also make extra spaghetti, lasgna and enchiladas just a few of the things I freeze. IMO, having a seal a meal really helps. I hope I am naming that right. Liked the chart privided.

Honored Contributor

I freeze milk all the time...never had a problem, tastes just like it came from the original carton.