Esteemed Contributor

Question regarding goldtone watches

For those of you who have tried the goldtone-plated stainless steel, I was wondering how durable, and lasting, the color is. I have a very pretty Judith watch from years ago with a black leather strap that I love. I'm looking at a goldtone now, but wondering if it will wear off leaving me with a two-toned watch.

I don't baby my jewelry and would be wearing the watch a lot. Has anyone had any experience they can share?

Respected Contributor

Re: Question regarding goldtone watches

I have yellow goldtone in Chrono as well as rose gold in chrono.  I do not wear these watches everyday as I own other Ripka watches.  My two stainless chrono's in Rose and yellow gold look just like new.  I have owned both a couple of years.  The Ripka chrono's are my everyday watches.  I also own the silver in chrono.  It also looks like new.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Depends on the brand.  My Skagen watches have had no color loss, ditto my Seiko.  Other gold tone watches lasted less than a year.  I no longer buy cheaper gold tone watches as I had to quit wearing some I loved.    

Esteemed Contributor

@culebra wrote:

I have yellow goldtone in Chrono as well as rose gold in chrono.  I do not wear these watches everyday as I own other Ripka watches.  My two stainless chrono's in Rose and yellow gold look just like new.  I have owned both a couple of years.  The Ripka chrono's are my everyday watches.  I also own the silver in chrono.  It also looks like new.

@culebra  It sounds like they hold up well so I just may go ahead and get my second Ripka watch. I've had my original for years now so it's time to add another. I'll bet your rose gold is pretty too, that may have to be my third watch color. Thank you for taking the time to answer! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@athenian wrote:

Depends on the brand.  My Skagen watches have had no color loss, ditto my Seiko.  Other gold tone watches lasted less than a year.  I no longer buy cheaper gold tone watches as I had to quit wearing some I loved.    

@athenian I didn't know the name Skagen so I had to look them up. They have some pretty watches! Good point about the quality of the brand as far as how they hold up. I had my eye on a silvertone Ripka but it sold out, so I think I'll take a chance on the goldtone. Thanks for your reply! Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Ripka watches use the most advanced and durable plating available. It's call ionic plating and I've read it's considered to be permanent or as close as you can get to that.