Valued Contributor

Let's DISCUSS: Ripkanistas fleeing to Facebook, what's up...

I'm wondering if the current censorship here is why Ripkanistas  have stopped posting on this board and have gone to Facebook?  This used to be a lively board of varying opinions about everything under the sun.  This lively board was responsible for a tremendous expansion in JRQ business, making JR the top Q jewelry designer.

Have the board changes driven down board traffic and JRQ sales?   The Q boards WERE famous internet-wide as a place for open information and opinions.  This had to drive a lot of business.

In contrast, the Q's open review system has been a resounding success driving sales and acting as feedback to the Q (as the boards used to give feedback as well).

Why the apparent disconnect between the new boards and review system?

Please share your thoughts.

Honored Contributor

Re: Let's DISCUSS: Ripkanistas fleeing to Facebook, what's up...

I thought the Ripka people went to Facebook before the new board was set up.  Not quite sure what their complaints were.  I used to enjoy the Ripka posts here, but I don't care for Facebook.  And another negative for me is as soon as a company sells out I tend to lose interest in watching all the time.  Of course I can't blame them for cashing in, but QVC and we viewers are responsible for nurturing and buying these lines.  Its happened time and time again, Bare Escentuals, Philosophy, Judith Ripka, etc.  I don't boycott the lines and there are products from them I will use forever (or wear forever in the case of jewelry).  I just feel I no longer have a personal stake in their success.

Honored Contributor

we can discuss a lot more, share advance item numbers easily, buy/sell/trade, post iso posts, and get a bit off topic without being edited.

a very nice group of women all around and very respectful of each other.

we know how to say we dont like something or that there is a problem with a  piece without being rude or nasty.

lots of fun pics posted also!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

going to add......lets just face it......the line is not like it once was both in design and quality. once it was sold there has been a downhill trend.

i always wait now to buy something because i think the pricing is too high.

and STILL too much diamonique.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I never got into the Ripka frenzy, so I have no idea why the Ripjanistas fled to Facebook.  I did order two items from Judith's line -  years and years before she sold her company.  I returned both; for me qualiyy was lacking in workmanship and the quality of the gems used (no DMQ at all though).  Finally just last year, I broke down and ordered a TSV ring -  I kept that -  relatively speaking it was inexpensive and I wanted the green gems I chose to buy.

Would I follow any group to Facebook?  Absolutely not.  Not Facebook, not Twitter, not any social media.  I know I miss out a bit, but I do nothing retail or political on social media -  not even just to read there.  Certainly never to "like" anything or anyone.

Regular Contributor

Yes the Facebook group started quite a while before the new Q forums changed so that's not the reason imho.

I think when Xcel Brands acquired the brand a couple of years ago the quality slowly changed and as a result sales haven't been the same because it's not exactly the same jewelry as before.  All the Diamonique doesn't help either, I agree with that.

Valued Contributor

Depglass

@depglass wrote:

I thought the Ripka people went to Facebook before the new board was set up.  Not quite sure what their complaints were.  I used to enjoy the Ripka posts here, but I don't care for Facebook.  And another negative for me is as soon as a company sells out I tend to lose interest in watching all the time.  Of course I can't blame them for cashing in, but QVC and we viewers are responsible for nurturing and buying these lines.  Its happened time and time again, Bare Escentuals, Philosophy, Judith Ripka, etc.  I don't boycott the lines and there are products from them I will use forever (or wear forever in the case of jewelry).  I just feel I no longer have a personal stake in their success.

Depglass, I know you are a long time poster here, who, like me, has seen a lot of ups and downs.  I don't care for Facebook either and as a former journalist, I prefer to have more privacy.  That's why I liked the Q boards.  I stopped posting as much due to bullies and having chronic fatigue, but one thing I never worried about was having Big Brother over my shoulder.  I am NOT happy about losing two threads which were starting to bring more traffic to the brand.  I'm a 26-year serious Q customer and I believe the current threads should reflect what is going on.  I don't believe we should ignore the elephant in the room.

I have always been happy to suggest, share experiences and promote Q products which work for me, which I know enhance Q business.  I totally realize the Q boards are a positive which enhances business and that the Q isn't doing it for fun.  I just wonder why the Q would shoot themselves in the foot via Big Brother-type censorship.  I have never mistreated anyone on these boards and never will.  I think we should be able to express our opinions about what is going on in the world.

I know the Ripkanista Facebook was set up before, but I think the board change and lack of freedom of expression has excelerated the exodus.  If I were the Q, I would support rebuilding the traffic, not driving it away.

I agree with you that the brand sell-outs are a factor, along with decline of brand quality.  As for JRQ, I almost feel like there are competing groups who make the line: one is all about the older, stellar quality and one is all about smoke-and-mirrors, fast profit.  There are still some great pieces which are like the older quality and then there are those like the Montana ring which has a thin, cheap setting that is easily bent.

Your quote about "...no longer having a stake in their success" [of the brands] is perfectly stated.  Heart  Thanks so much for your input.  Take care~Peach

Actual stats:  Chicagoan now in LA; Join Date: May 8, 2008; Post count: 11,620.

Valued Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

going to add......lets just face it......the line is not like it once was both in design and quality. once it was sold there has been a downhill trend.

i always wait now to buy something because i think the pricing is too high.

and STILL too much diamonique.

Sunshine45, I have to generally agree with you.  As I said to Depglass, I think there are two competing groups making JRQ, one is old school quality and design and the other is for the fast buck.  A problem also is that the line is too big IMHO and yes, absolutely about waiting to buy due to the extremely high base price.  I wait now, too, for the real price.  Thanks, Peach

Valued Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

we can discuss a lot more, share advance item numbers easily, buy/sell/trade, post iso posts, and get a bit off topic without being edited.

a very nice group of women all around and very respectful of each other.

we know how to say we dont like something or that there is a problem with a  piece without being rude or nasty.

lots of fun pics posted also!

Sunshine, don't you think it would be smart business of the Q if they allowed most all of the above back on this board, instead of driving everyone to Facebook?  I don't get the strangeness of not allowing advance item numbers when it means more sales. It is the Q's job to properly project stock levels and if something sells out early, well, that's a good thing!

Meanness is NEVER ok, but everything else is cool IMHO.  They used to allow some of that, which was unacceptable. If that is a problem with a poster, then I'd say it is time for personal contact between Q and the poster to discuss the bullying.

Can you imagine how many would come here to the JRQ board for pics?

I'm not a Facebook person, however.  Just want to say thanks for coming here to post and share Sunshine.  Best wishes~Peach

Actual stats:  Chicagoan now in LA; Join Date: May 8, 2008; Post count: 11,602.

Valued Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

I never got into the Ripka frenzy, so I have no idea why the Ripjanistas fled to Facebook.  I did order two items from Judith's line -  years and years before she sold her company.  I returned both; for me qualiyy was lacking in workmanship and the quality of the gems used (no DMQ at all though).  Finally just last year, I broke down and ordered a TSV ring -  I kept that -  relatively speaking it was inexpensive and I wanted the green gems I chose to buy.

Would I follow any group to Facebook?  Absolutely not.  Not Facebook, not Twitter, not any social media.  I know I miss out a bit, but I do nothing retail or political on social media -  not even just to read there.  Certainly never to "like" anything or anyone.

Millieshops, I recognize your nic, thanks for posting. I'm not a social media person, either, partially because as a former journalist, I value my privacy, but also because I just don't have the energy! Haha. 

Did you get the JRQ TSV with the multiple bands and gemstones (Chrome Diopside)?  That one is a beauty and I have it, too.  I wish I would've waited for the markdown on that one, though. There are some great JR pieces, but now that the line is so large, it is more difficult to sift through and figure out the designs with the best quality.  Take care~Peach