Contributor

Re: where to sell (broken) gold jewelry ???

Hi, can anyone rercommend a reputable coin shop or jewelry store in the Atlanta area.  I dealt with a trusted jeweler for many, many years, but he passed away earlier this year.  I have some jewelry i would like to sell but have been afraid to try a new place  Would appreciate any advice. 

Respected Contributor

@decaf wrote:

i AGREE, US Gold Buyers, Boca Raton, Fl.  I just sold all my gold there last January.  Go on their site or call them.  If you're out of their area they will send you insured Fed Ex envelope to mail in your gold and they give you a price the next day.

You don't have to wait for them to send you an envelope. Just go to their website and you can get a prepaid label. Just take your gold to your local fedex and use the label on their box. I always prepackage my gold and just put the package in the box.

US Gold Buyers has the best price I have found anywhere.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Check the price of gold the day you plan to go. They put it on a scale before offering a price. If you know the prices, you can tell if getting a good deal. if the price offered is too low, you can often "bargain" and get a better price. They often begin low hoping you won't know what it's worth. 

Sometimes they say their scale is "in the back" and they'll weigh it there. I ask that they bring up it front so I can see or go in the back room to see for myself. If the dealer's not willing to have you see the amount of gold, I look for someone elsewhere.

Great Advice. Lots of scammy jewellers. I've seen many shows, ie, Judge Judy - where jewellers rip off customers - by removing diamonds in their rings - and replacing with junk stones. Never leave diamonds, gold, etc. overnight with the jeweller. If they have to get something from the back, ie, scale, etc. have them bring to the front counter where u need to watch them. Don't take ur eyes off ur valuables. Good idea to photo all the items - just in case.

Respected Contributor

@spend2much,I always go to my local jeweler. Of course I never get what it is worth,but it beats laying in my bling bling box

Respected Contributor

It's been my experience that no local jewelry store has ever come close to US GoldBuyers offer.

Honored Contributor

I sold a bunch of gold/ silver chains, earrings,  years ago to a local jeweler too. In fact sold my wedding set too---got a good amount of $$ for it all. this was when gold prices had started going up--think per ounce of gold it was $1200--

Respected Contributor

I’ve used my jeweler for that often. Ask if they give more if you take it on store credit. I’ve gotten 25% more if I used it to buy something else.
Never underestimate the power of kindness.