Trusted Contributor

were you given jewelry by your parents or godparents? my godmother gave me a yellow gold ID bracelet with turquoise stones flanking the name plate. my name was engraved in an elegant script font. I have skinny wrists, so I can still wear it. it's not even tight! she also gave me a pair of 3 cluster white pearl earrings.

i thought it'd be fun to know if anyone else still has their "baby" jewelry 😊

Honored Contributor

Re: when you were a baby....

Great topic! I have a watch my mom and dad gave me for my 9th birthday that still works and I can still wear it.

It's a Swiss sports watch made by a company called Vuka or Vuca.

Trusted Contributor

violan, I love that it still fits and you still wear it! 

Super Contributor

At 16 I had my ears pierced and several times my mother and I went to our neighborhood jewelry store and I picked out gold post earrings (one with turquoise, one with green jade and one all gold).  I still have them and whenever I wear them I feel so good.  They represent a happy, loving time of my life.

Respected Contributor

When I was 7 my aunt gave me a birthstone ring, which was too big and fell off my finger.  A classmate found it and was wearing it in school.  I told her it was mine, but she would not give it back and we argued.  What I did not know was the classmate had leukemia.  She died about a month later.  

Then, being a child, I felt guilty about the argument.  I finally told my Mother about the ring and she was very understanding and told me I had nothing to feel guilty about.

Anyway, I never got the ring back.  

When I turned 16 my grandmother gave me a birthstone ring that was hers.  My grandmother has been gone for 50 years and I still wear that ring.  Because of its unique antique setting, I receive many compliments about the ring.

Honored Contributor

yes, in our culture it is traditional to give a newborn baby and young children gifts of jewelry, both silver and gold.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

gmkb, wow! that's quite a story! I wish I had asked for everyone to post photos. it would be fun and interesting 😊

Respected Contributor

@freakygirl wrote:

gmkb, wow! that's quite a story! I wish I had asked for everyone to post photos. it would be fun and interesting 😊

I'm sorry, but I don't know how to post pictures, but the ring is a square shape deep blue sapphire with a silver filigree setting.  The band wore thin about 15 years ago and I took it to 3 jewelers before one agreed to repair it.  The others were reluctant because of the age.  Well, the jeweler did a great job and I am still wearing it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My Godfather gave me a sterling/marcasite cross. This was when I received my first Communion at age 7 or there about. I still have have it, in fact one thing my mother actually never got rid of and I found it after she died and my sister and I were going through all of whatever she had left.  I was blown away, so glad I have it now.  I'm not even sure how mom got it from me nor when.

Honored Contributor

My family believed that ONLY a married woman was allowed to wear jewelry.  Where they got this strange belief is beyond me..........

♥Surface of the Sun♥