Respected Contributor

what is your favorite kind of backing on earrings?

My favorite is post and clutch; I think they dangle more...I'm not quite sure how to word this...naturaly, organically. However when you wear them the first fiew times, it's hell to get that post through your ear and the clutch to fit. I usually put them on right away to help them get more used to my ear. I have a 2nd hole and I'd like to wear post and clutch 24 hours a day at first, just to get them "broken in" but it hurts too much.

I like shepherd's hook too; they're really comfortable but I worry that the metal will eventually wear out from the squeezing I sometimes have to do to them.

The leverbacks are good too but in a way, I feel like they're the "lazy" earrings; they could be constructed as clutch-and-post or sheherds hook. But I must admit they sure are a lot easier to put on and take off than any other kind.

I recently bought a pair of Black Hills Gold leverbacks and I love them The gold is only about 10 carats but the way they're carved to bring out ALL the sparkle, and sometimes mixed with other colors...they're spectacular. Not cheap, and often are very small, but i bought a pair that was rather pricey and Iove them and wear them at every opportunity.

Respected Contributor

Re: what is your favorite kind of backing on earrings?

I wish I could wear earrings again, back when I was 16 (seems like yesterday) I would wear these triple hoops and even wear them to bed, well, you know the story, ripped my ear, not all the way through but any earring sags

I know they have those backers that Hold up the earring but somehow they always come loose and I can't imagine how many good earrlings I lost so I just gave up.

Respected Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

I wish I could wear earrings again, back when I was 16 (seems like yesterday) I would wear these triple hoops and even wear them to bed, well, you know the story, ripped my ear, not all the way through but any earring sags

Have you considered getting your ear surgically repaired? I've see it done--there are a couple of series about medically repairing skin damage, etc.--and more than once the doctor was able to repair the tear. I don't know how much it would cost but it might be worth looking into.

Trusted Contributor

I like lever backs for dangles and snap bar closure for hoops.  I used to like post and clutch, but I have limited use of my hands now, so I seem to prefer everything "all in one" so I do not lose a part of the earring. 

Honored Contributor

I have 7 piercings....so I wear a VARIETY of earrings all at one time...

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I like omega backs or shepherd's hook.

Honored Contributor

I wear hoops mostly and I like the push-lock closure so I won't lose them.

Dainty Pave CZ Hoop Earrings With Push Button Lock | Etsy

Super Contributor

I really like the LARGE butterfly backs or the one that has the round plastic outside with the stainless piece on the center.., I have no idea what they call those. But they sure help keep an earring flush against the ear and stop the weight from dragging your earlobe down!
Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

@Just Bling wrote:

Have you considered getting your ear surgically repaired? I've see it done--there are a couple of series about medically repairing skin damage, etc.--and more than once the doctor was able to repair the tear. I don't know how much it would cost but it might be worth looking into.

I grew up in the '80s when big earrings were the thing to wear but those heavy earrings really stretched out my piercings so badly that I completely stopped wearing earrings for a long time b/c my earrings didn't look right...they just hung down on my lobes lookin' sad. So I finally went to a derm and asked them to fix my lobes. They gave me an 'earlobe rejuvenation', yes that's a real thing, and now I have normal lobes. I didn't get the fillers but I got laser treatments to tighten the skin and that shrank the piercings so they are almost like new. Best thing ever!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

ok, nosy question: how much did it cost (approximately)?

And I meant to say that omega backs are also among my favorites--you can hear them snap closed so you know it's attached securely. And you can sleep in them without feeling like someone is trying to drill thru your ear lobe and jaw/cheek.