Respected Contributor

watch face suddenly cloudy! Can this be fixed?

[ Edited ]

I looked down at my watch and suddenly the face is cloudy! I don't know what happened!

Can a jeweler fix this? The time is still running. Thanks!

Super Contributor

Re: watch face suddenly cloudy! Can this be fixed?

Yes, I have experienced this.  I went to my jeweler and he put a new Crystal, I believe, the glass cover on top is called, on it.  I do not remember why it got that way.

Honored Contributor

@ellaphant.   Sounds like condensation from moisture you've gotten in it.  I'd take it to a jeweler to see if it can be dried out

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Yep!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I would also say that moisture has gotten into your watch.  It may continue to work for awhile, but I'd take it to the jeweler to either dry it out inside or replace the crystal.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

sometimes you can fix this on your own, by placing the watch under a lamp for a day. doesn't always work. BTW crystals can be expensive. $40-60.

Esteemed Contributor

@ellaphant, you might hail @JavaQueen - there has been a long-standing series of threads about watches and related business going on here.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ellaphant  Moisture in a watch can do much more damage than just to the crystal. It can also rust the working mechanisms. Take it to a reputable jeweler immediately.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

@kittyloo  Depending on the watch brand the crystals can be a lot more costly to replace too.  I worked for a high-end jewelry store & if it's a swiss watch (Movado, Tag Heuer) the crystals run in the hundreds of dollars.

Definitely have a jeweler look at your watch.  You don't want moisture to ruin the movement.

Respected Contributor

Years ago, I had the crystal on a Seiko watch fog up from moisture.  I took it to a jeweler & they ended up sending out to a watchmaker to replace the seal/gasket on the caseback & did a service on the movement while they had it.