Honored Contributor

I like black rhodium with dark-colored gems like black spinel or with red gems like red garnet or ruby. 

As far as white topaz accents...most colorless accent stones are so small anyway that I hardly notice a real difference between them. It's the larger topaz solitaires that I can see a rather big difference in sparkle from a real diamond, a Moissanite or a strontium titanate...even a cz out sparkles a larger topaz gem. Topaz has a much lower refractive index than both a diamond or cz.

Frequent Contributor

You are so right.

Honored Contributor

@OKPrincess wrote:

I don’t care for rose gold because it tarnished. By the way, it was jewelry bought from JTV and not the Q.

Most of JTV's rose gold is 10k.  It will tarnish unless the gold is properly made. J rarely goes for high quality so I would expect it to tarnish.  I don't buy much from J because of that.  

I love rose gold but stick to 14k.  There are a lot of places where you can get 14k rose gold for less than Q offers.  Sarraf and Jewels For Me are just two of them.  Just be careful with JFM's pendants.  Most are pretty tiny.  But they offer 14k leverback earrings in white, rose and yellow gold and lots of gems!  I prefer leverbacks to any other style.

Honored Contributor

I like white topaz (crystal quartz?), but not as a substitute for anything.  I have a beautiful Peter Thomas Roth checkerboard stone that I love.  

I also like black rhodium when it's used to create an edgy look.

I have learned to never say never.  You never know...

(I do agree that the halo thing is so over.  And I really have no use for "accent stones."  Just leave the honker alone in all it's glory.)

Respected Contributor

A few years ago, they sold a lot of Drusy here.  Some of it looked pretty, but never tried it.  Also, they sold gold in colors like blue, green.  Wasn't sure so I passed.

I have some rings with white sapphire as accent stones.  Very sparkly.  Purchased at the old ValueVision.

Regular Contributor

@LyndaGee wrote:

A few years ago, they sold a lot of Drusy here.  Some of it looked pretty, but never tried it.  Also, they sold gold in colors like blue, green.  Wasn't sure so I passed.

Oh wow--I had (mercifully) forgotten about that fad the Q went through with all kinds of God-awful colors of gold; that was pretty bad and I noticed it was over pretty soon. Same with Drusy; no matter how hard QVC pushed it (and they pushed it hard) it didn't go over very well and vanished quickly.

Super Contributor

I have no problems with rhodium when it on a cluster ring or somehow highlights the center stone. As far as accents are concerned I'm not very particular about white topaz or zircon but I find white topaz looks better as baguettes. 

Honored Contributor

This is just my own only slightly educated on gems opinion, but I think you can get good and poor quality in diamonds, zircons, and topaz when used as accent stones.  If I could live my working life over again I would have taken GIA courses and worked in jewelry.