Frequent Contributor

Okay, I don't come here much but I've got to complain. When I see "Black Rhodium" or "White Topaz," I just pass. I find the rhodium does nothing to help the gems especially the inexpensive "colored" diamonds. White Topaz is fine as a stand alone stone but the rings that have with used as accents start to look bad after a time. Is this just me? I prefer just the metal color or for accents how about white zircons? 

Honored Contributor

I don’t care for rose gold because it tarnished. By the way, it was jewelry bought from JTV and not the Q.

Respected Contributor

@artycat wrote:

Okay, I don't come here much but I've got to complain. When I see "Black Rhodium" or "White Topaz," I just pass. I find the rhodium does nothing to help the gems especially the inexpensive "colored" diamonds. White Topaz is fine as a stand alone stone but the rings that have with used as accents start to look bad after a time. Is this just me? I prefer just the metal color or for accents how about white zircons? 

this is just my opinion. some people just don't want a "fake" stone, and would rather have the white topaz no matter the look.  I know people who would rather have a "affordable" super ugly diamond, than a moissanite, or cz set in 14k. it's so when their friends ask them if its real they can say yes. 

when you are talking about affordable/budget jewelry, the real diamonds, are ugly color, and included. easy to spot. 

Honored Contributor

Fake diamonds... white zircon... white topaz... white whatever... I don't think everything requires a diamond simulant to have appeal... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@artycat.  I won't buy a stone with white topaz accents.  They have no "life" in them whereas white zircon sparkle like a diamond.  A zircon set as a solitare easily passes for a diamond, not a topaz.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I'd take a good Swarovsky crystal over a white topaz for accents

Topaz just looks like a piece of glass.

White sapphire is nice.

nothing wrong with zircons, either.

I love black spinel.

Bought a bracelet like this one at Sam's Club, it's stunning.

Mine has a plain closure, not a dagger

black spinel.jpg

Dagger_Bracelet_grande.jpg

Trusted Contributor

I'm with you @stevieb. I'm sooooo weary of some kind of white stone always being part of a design.  How many "halo" pieces can you have before it gets old?  Diamonds, topaz and zircons are all very nice but I don't want or need them on EVERY piece.  Oftentimes, another poster pointed out, the white stones included are gray, dull and add nothing to the piece but add to the price.  

I wonder why white sapphires don't get more use?  They're beautiful, although certainly more expensive than a white topaz.  I'd go for them in  heartbeat!

Trusted Contributor

@OKPrincess wrote:

I don’t care for rose gold because it tarnished. By the way, it was jewelry bought from JTV and not the Q.

Rose gold has become one of my favorites and I'm sorry to hear yours was tarnished.  Was it rose-gold plated?  Unfortunately the plating eventually wears off.  Depending on your particular body chemistry it can wear off sooner than later too.  I am the same way with any gold plating.  A gold plated necklace will turn on me very quickly.

Respected Contributor

I am not a fan of clear stones - diamonds, zircon, white topaz - no matter.  I prefer colored gems without clear accents.

I do like black rhodium tho and love rose gold.

Honored Contributor

I don't care for the black rhodium, I like rose gold if it doesn't have too much copper in it. As far as fake diamonds, I love Diamonique and I would rather have that than a poor quality diamond. Well made jewelry is valuable and appealing to me no matter if the stones are real or faux.