Trusted Contributor

stainless steel sleight of hand

[ Edited ]

I noticed in the Steel by Design listings that the line is listed imported whereas anything listed as stainless steel jewelry is made in China.

Now I see that J302227 stainless steel chocolate plated hoop earrings and J302231 Steel by Design chocolate plated hoop earings are both made in China.

Is that the reason Steel by Design is being phased out or just transformed to being made in China for monetary reasons.

I remember seeing Antonella debut the Steel by Design line when she first started at QVC.  I guess none of the established hosts would touch it. Give it to the new girl.

Love you Antonella for that reason.

Respected Contributor

Re: stainless steel sleight of hand

Well, for one thing, I don't think the average host has any say in what he/she presents.  Maybe someone with decades of tenure , but even so . . . if Q wants to sell it, it is not up to the hosts.  

For another thing, I think most jewelry is being phased out or is already phased out.  Decades ago, they had whole days and many many daily shows showing jewelry.  The TSVs were often jewelry.  I loved the eye candy.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

The new generation of younger shoppers aren't wearing much jewelry. Those shoppers are now taking the lead in numbers so what's being offered seems to reflect what is happening in the shopping environment and it doesn't include jewelry. It's too bad b/c I love jewelry and I wish there were more jewelry shows.

Honored Contributor

@newname0.  You're barking up the wrong tree in so many ways.  Suggest quit making assumptions.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@newname0 wrote:

I remember seeing Antonella debut the Steel by Design line when she first started at QVC.  I guess none of the established hosts would touch it. Give it to the new girl.

Steel by Design premiered with a two hour show on October 18, 2001. Antonella debuted on QVC on July 2, 2004, so no, she did not host the first Steel by Design. But you are right that many pieces previously carried in the line were made elsewhere: some designs were made in Italy by Milor.

@Kachina624 wrote:

Suggest quit making assumptions.

And purporting false information.

Trusted Contributor

@banned again wrote:

@newname0 wrote:

Steel by Design premiered with a two hour show on October 18, 2001. Antonella debuted on QVC on July 2, 2004, so no, she did not host the first Steel by Design. But you are right that many pieces previously carried in the line were made elsewhere: some designs were made in Italy by Milor.

@Kachina624 wrote:

Suggest quit making assumptions.

And purporting false information.

Just made an error.  I saw her for the first time showing Steel by Design jewelry.  To err is human to forgive devine.

Honored Contributor

@newname0   More jewelry than you realize comes from China, Japan, India, etc. Musch of the silver jewelry can come from Mexico. Very little is made in the US. 

Sometimes it affects the quality, but most often it keeps the prices down.