Trusted Contributor

Which word do you like the best?  QVC overuses simulated.  I for one like faux.  Heaven forbid they would say fake.  

Could they think of a better word for this?  Any suggestions?

Honored Contributor

imitation.....phony.......copy

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

When I see/hear simulated, I think of lab-created to copy the real thing.  That doesn't make it real for me.  I own some real gems, I own some lab-created (copies, fakes, faux = take your pic).  

What I've tried never to do is to attempt to pass off the lab-created as the real thing although I do still remember a years ago incident when a young man who supposedly was somewhat of an expert asked me which was real -my ring or my pendant which were similar in size and shape.  Told him that if he couldn't tell, I knew I had bought at least one good fake.

Honored Contributor

Re: simulated, faux or fake

[ Edited ]

I like the word imitation.  Covers stones & metals.

Copy signifies a repeated design.

Simulated signifies stone material.

Faux is a word many of the masses don’t understand.

Phony/fake have lots of emotion.

Honored Contributor

It doesn't matter to me which word is used just as long as I know what I'm getting.

Respected Contributor

from what i've learned/read, chemically speaking lab stones are real. but perfect in color. that is why the colors are so brillant, and vibrant.  it would be a rare find in nature. 

maybe 100's of years ago.  they are considered to be real. 

Natural.... no.

Honored Contributor

There are simulated stones, which are fake and can be just about anything.  There are lab created stones which chemically are the same as a mined stone but were created in a laboratory.  I don't know if QVC really does overuse either term.  I think they are describing the product properly.  Fake and faux are just other words for simulated and I think they don't use those words because they come across as negative in our minds. I've been collecting jewelry for 30 years and I don't buy fake/simulated stones anymore.  I limit my purchases to natural or mined stones but I don't rule out created stones.  I would never buy fake/faux  rubies but I recently purchased created ruby stud earrings because I don't have the $16,000 that a pair of comparable pair of mined ruby earrings would have costs me.       

Trusted Contributor

Avon is currently selling "reconstituted turquoise" and I looked that one up and found out it uses small amounts of real turquoise in the brew.  Is this appealing to you?

Honored Contributor

@newname0 wrote:

Avon is currently selling "reconstituted turquoise" and I looked that one up and found out it uses small amounts of real turquoise in the brew.  Is this appealing to you?

Reconstituted and composite turquoise is like chicken nuggets...pressed and formed to look like the natural thing.

Respected Contributor

WASTE OF MONEY would be my term for fake metals and gemstones? My mother taught me well: Buy what’s real, and it will last forever.