New Contributor

silcone filled jewelry is worthless, can not sell it can not resize a ring....

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: silcone filled jewelry is worthless, can not sell it can not resize a ring....

[ Edited ]

Personally, I do not buy trendy jewelry in precious metals nor do I buy jewelry with resale in mind.When I buy a piece of jewelry it is because I think it is beautiful and I want to own it and wear it forever. I would never be able to afford to buy larger pieces of gold jewelry that is solid gold so I am glad that QVC realizes and makes an affordable option by presenting these filled pieces.If they aren't your thing - don't buy them - simple. For me, and many other ladies,they are an affordable option.I will add , I would not buy rings or bracelets because they take too much banging around but a necklace or earrings I have no problem with.

Honored Contributor

Re: silcone filled jewelry is worthless, can not sell it can not resize a ring....

I do buy my jewelry with possible resale in mind, just as I do when we move and buy a house, chances are we won't live there forever and I want the opportunity to have a home that is extremely appealing to future buyers.

Same with jewelry.  Except for some sentimental pieces, I bore after awhile with some of the pieces I buy.  I typically pick more traditional styles but have been known to buy Michael Dawkins more trendy (edgy) pieces.... which I've loved and kept so far.  But I want to buy pieces that keep their value over the years if not go up in pric, and silicone filled (or resin filled) will not do that.  As it is there are unscrupulous re-sellers out there that will not disclose (or do not know) that these pieces have a core and it's only the outer shell that's gold.   Also some designers use a subtantial amount of jeweler's metal (in addition to the Silver mixture) in their sterling silver, which weights the piece considerably and often the buyer believes the item is solid sterling silver.  It's marked that way, but it really isn't......

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor

I am allergic to costume/fashion jewelry. Until it became intolerable, I wore Lia Sophia pieces. I have one pair of Oro Nuovo earrings that I bought as-is because I wanted an affordable, bold rose gold look. Since the posts are gold, I can wear them easily with no reactions and they are lighter weight than colored/plated base metal. I see these pieces as fashion jewelry, but I definitely have a strict cap of what I will spend.
Valued Contributor

I am past wanting to buy jewelry for resale or value.  I love the Oro Nuovo gold earrings I purchased as a tsv a few weeks back.  As far as I am concerned they are gold earrings and I don't care about their value, I love that they didn't cost me very much but have a great presence and look so beautiful.

So you are right, they aren't a great value, but in my eyes, they are just for looks. 

Esteemed Contributor

For people, like me, who have bought beautiful 14KT and 18KT gold jewelry from the Q over 6 yrs ago ---- it's very difficult buying this fake gold jewelry. Sometimes it's nice to buy fashion jewelry but the Q makes it appear that the fake jewelry is similar to real jewelry - and they pretend it's what people want. They should call all this filled jewelry by what it really is - imitation jewelry. With gold prices way down from its high, I'm surprised that the Q can't come up with real jewelry - and also give us the gram weights. If I want fashion jewelry - there are many places I can go to shop.

Honored Contributor

It appears that you ladies are wealthy and can spend whatever you choose to spend on your jewelry. Money is not a factor for you and you expect to sell what you buy.  I don't have that type of life.  My jewelry, even gold, is not an investment.  I'm not in the jewery business.  I buy pieces to wear and enjoy and since I work for a living and like other things like vacations and clothes and nice restaurants; I won't pay today's gold prices.  So, silcone filled gold and gold over silver and Bronzo work for me.  I get my gold look without sinking a fortune in my jewelry box.  And I get to fill up my jewelry box. 

Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

For people, like me, who have bought beautiful 14KT and 18KT gold jewelry from the Q over 6 yrs ago ---- it's very difficult buying this fake gold jewelry. Sometimes it's nice to buy fashion jewelry but the Q makes it appear that the fake jewelry is similar to real jewelry - and they pretend it's what people want. They should call all this filled jewelry by what it really is - imitation jewelry. With gold prices way down from its high, I'm surprised that the Q can't come up with real jewelry - and also give us the gram weights. If I want fashion jewelry - there are many places I can go to shop.

I believe you can buy all the 14k and 18k gold you could possibly want at any jewelry store in the USA. You are not limited to buying from QVC.

Super Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

It appears that you ladies are wealthy and can spend whatever you choose to spend on your jewelry. Money is not a factor for you and you expect to sell what you buy.  I don't have that type of life.  My jewelry, even gold, is not an investment.  I'm not in the jewery business.  I buy pieces to wear and enjoy and since I work for a living and like other things like vacations and clothes and nice restaurants; I won't pay today's gold prices.  So, silcone filled gold and gold over silver and Bronzo work for me.  I get my gold look without sinking a fortune in my jewelry box.  And I get to fill up my jewelry box. 

Wealty or not everyone buys pieces to wear and enjoy and most here work for a living and like vacations and clothes and nice restaurants too. I never understood women who buy mountains (or a jewelry box full) of inexpensive jewelry then verbally sneer at others who invest in a few good gold pieces. Do what you want, let others do the same. 

Trusted Contributor

I appreciate the Oro Nuovo brand, especially the earrings.  I get a big bold presence for not a big price.  Plus I like the lighter weight of the earrings with the silicone center.  As I've gotten older I have very little tolerance for an weight in my earrings.  So Oro Nuovo is perfect for me.