Super Contributor

Re: review of the design of the month watch

On 9/6/2014 happy housewife said:
On 9/6/2014 expatgal said:

When seen on her wrist it is clear it is pretty large, and longer than wider.

I think it looks great on expatgirl and not too big. In that design, it is supposed to be longer than the width. But it sounds like you're really not happy with it, so send it back. There will always be another watch coming up.

expatgirl - thanks for the measurements and all of the info. I'm sure it will be helpful to others.

Regular Contributor

I just received mine today, and it's beautiful. To me it is a perfect size. I did have to remove two of the links to fit my 7 1/4" wrist. The face with the DMQ stones around it really dresses it up. The Roman Numerals don't bother me either, makes the watch look fancier. It's definitely a keeper at a great price.

Honored Contributor

On 9/6/2014 mskringle said:
On 9/6/2014 happy housewife said:
On 9/6/2014 expatgal said:

When seen on her wrist it is clear it is pretty large, and longer than wider.

I think it looks great on expatgirl and not too big. In that design, it is supposed to be longer than the width. But it sounds like you're really not happy with it, so send it back. There will always be another watch coming up.

expatgirl - thanks for the measurements and all of the info. I'm sure it will be helpful to others.

I have not yet made the decision if I am keeping it - I just want people to be AWARE of what they are getting since the description QVC posted is incorrect. Sheesh. if the actual measurements had been posted I would most likely not have ordered it in the first place but now that I have seen it in person, and I see how very pretty it is, it is a difficult decision for me. if I do chose to return it , I am calling CS and telling them it is not as described and I want free postage for the return.

Super Contributor

HappyHousewife - it has been my experience that when a piece of QVC jewelry arrives, if I don't just LOVE it the second I see it when I open the box, I really should send it back. A few years ago, I would keep the item, thinking it would grow on me or I would wear it more than I thought. WRONG. I'm much happier with my jewelry now from QVC if I only keep the ones that almost make me gasp when I open them. You know, the pieces that you love the moment you see them. I have way too much jewelry now to keep anything I don't absolutely love. I bet you'll find the perfect watch for you soon! And I'll add, I don't know about your hubby, but if mine utters the first negative word about a piece, that's it ... RUINED. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I love big watches. I'm just not a small watch person. But if it's something you aren't happy with, send it back.
Honored Contributor

On 9/7/2014 expatgal said:

HappyHousewife - it has been my experience that when a piece of QVC jewelry arrives, if I don't just LOVE it the second I see it when I open the box, I really should send it back. A few years ago, I would keep the item, thinking it would grow on me or I would wear it more than I thought. WRONG. I'm much happier with my jewelry now from QVC if I only keep the ones that almost make me gasp when I open them. You know, the pieces that you love the moment you see them. I have way too much jewelry now to keep anything I don't absolutely love. I bet you'll find the perfect watch for you soon! And I'll add, I don't know about your hubby, but if mine utters the first negative word about a piece, that's it ... RUINED. Good luck!

i was 100% planning to keep it til he said that. I probably still will. It is so pretty I gasped when i first saw it.

Occasional Contributor

Mine was defective because the stem pulled out when I reset the time due a time zone change. I bought the gold to take on vacations instead of my designer watch. When the gold QVC watch is next to my real gold watch, the QVC watch is brassy & cheap looking. I DON'T recommend this watch. I wrote a review about this & mysteriously QVC never posted my review. Are they now only posting good reviews???
Respected Contributor

I haven't ordered this watch yet, but I am very tempted. Love the style and the specs looked very good.... for the price point. If it's larger than the measurements, no problem for me, as I've been wearing larger watches. I agree with others who have posted, you get used to a larger and heavier watch very quickly.

But the reason I'm posting is to discuss watch measurements. The problem is that each shopping channels and stores measure watches differently. Since they often regard watches as a fashion or jewelry item, they frequently don't follow the 'standards' used by the watch industry. I guess they figure their customers won't understand. But the problem that results with the measurements of the case and the straps/bracelets, is that a customer you don't know what is being measured. So as a customer you can't really judge the watch size.

The 'standard' for the watch industry for a round watch is to measure from the outside of the bezel at 10 o'clock to the outside of the bezel at 4 o'clock. The measurement does not include the stem or any pushers that might be there on a chronograph watch. And the measurement is done in mm, which is a more precise number than eights of an inch.

These 'standard' measurements do not include the lugs of the watch (where the case attaches to the bracelet).

To further complicate matters, watches that are not round can be measured in so many different ways. Often a watch manufacturer will give a measurement that approximates what the watch would be if it were round. Sometimes they will give the case length and width (excluding lugs and crown).

I don't know what Q measures. And when customers are measuring the watch and saying it's bigger than Q's measurements, I don't know what they are measuring either.

Bottom line, if the watch is too big for you or you don't like the size, return it. Remember you can have a jeweler remove links to get a better fit on the bracelet. All good watches are made with removable links and it's an easy procedure for a jeweler to size the watch.. it takes a minute or two.