Respected Contributor

I like enameled pieces instead of stones.  Joan Rivers used to say the artists were aging without passing on the skills. Do you think this is true?

Honored Contributor

Re: remember enameled jewelry?

@traveler

I think I agree with Joan - it's hard to find nicely enameled jewelry.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Valued Contributor

When the Lauren G. Adams line was here on the Q, I ordered a bunch and I still wear it a lot.  Get many comments as it's kind of unique now.  The workmanship was beautiful!  I still get emails from the actual site, but the prices have tripled.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sadly, I think this is a dying art.

I found beautiful enamel ring of Aphrodite in profile--gold--and blue enamel.  It cost more than I wanted to pay, but ultimately I figured I would have more regret bout NOT buying it than I would if I did.  So I bought it. Maybe when the kid drops in for a visit I'll get him to snap a picture of it.

Trusted Contributor

No, I don't think it is true that enamel artists are a thing of the past.  Look on sites like etsy and you will find current artists who are creating, in many cases, one of a kind beautiful pieces.  I have also seen similar items at large artist craft fairs in places like Dallas,  Fort Worth (Main St Arts Festival), Gatlinburg (Craftsman Fair), and other places around the country.  

In addition when I was in China we visited an enamel "factory" and saw the artisans at work.  They were making enamel pieces placing the wiring that goes between the colors and then adding the colors all by hand. It was a very complicated and intricate process and there were young and older artists working on the enamel items.  It is fashionable to think that everything that comes out of China is substandard & mass produced, but these pieces were being created by true artisans and they were passing those skills onto younger artisans as well. 

Respected Contributor

Was it cloisonne?

Esteemed Contributor

@Coco Butter Bean I have some of her jewelry, too.  Very nice and has held up very well.  it's a shame so many of these skills are being lost

Esteemed Contributor

@scotnovel that's nice to hear, guess it is just something that QVC no longer offers.  If it isn't electronic, a mattress, blender or vacuum, it doesn't sell on Q

Valued Contributor

@GinaV24 wrote:

@Coco Butter Bean I have some of her jewelry, too.  Very nice and has held up very well.  it's a shame so many of these skills are being lost

Remember how that line would have a TSV at least once a year?  It must have been very popular, so I'm just surprised that the line is not still offered.  I have many sets of the gorgeous stack rings that I still mix and match.  Perhaps it just got to be cost prohibitive.

Frequent Contributor

Cloisonne - meaning  "decorative work of enamel sections in a pattern of metal strips."  My Mother obtained some examples  --including examples of the process.  Small (about 3") showing one step to the next.  This was from the time-frame of right after World War Two--mostly vases and plates.  They are beautiful.  Some jewelry is painted--usually on a metal base.   Both WITH the metal strip dividers and without.  Remember it was popular in the 60's and 70's.  Thank you