Valued Contributor

Re: "Mom" Jewelry: Yay or Nay?

I've bought my elderly mom a few pieces of mom-jewelry over the years and she's crazy about them and wears them all the time. I think it just depends upon the lady. I don't think she would like the rings though, or the necklace with the rings. Too modern for her.

Respected Contributor

I like the rings and the rings on the chain. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They're all sweet! My favorite is "and she loved a little boy." I would wear that. I DO wear a "mom" necklace framed by a heart made of flowers. DD gave it to me for Christmas when she got her first job in high school. She had the names inscribed on the back of the heart. 

Other "mom" jewelry I have that I treasure is my Alex and Ani bangles. DD started it by giving me the "mom," charm, then DS came home from his first year of college with one that is symbolic to him. I wear them almost every day. 

My own mom had the traditional mom's ring with the birthstones. It was a pretty one in gold with the two birthstones in between two bands. I now have it, but it's way too small for my fingers. She was tiny and liked simple jewelry. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Hmmm...that would be a NAY!

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

The peas in the pod I would definitely wear, but that's about it. I would rather a charm bracelet that could be added to. I saved my sons baby teeth and wanted to have a bracelet made out of the teeth some how, but everyone thought that was creepy, especially my son.LOL

Esteemed Contributor

If my daughter were to give me a paper sack to wear as a dress I would because it came from her heart, would I purchase something like these for myself, No, but then I do not wear jewelry that often.

Trusted Contributor

My son has purchased a mom heart for me from a jewelry store.  He is in his early 20's.  If my child buys me a mom necklace that's a big Yay for me.  It's gold with three little diamonts on it.  I don't generalize about what I like or don't like. 

Honored Contributor

It's sweet.  If you enjoy it, wear it.

Trusted Contributor

Great topic, I still remember the Mother's Day "jewelry" that my children made for me at school, the pasta necklaces, the sunflower brooches...they were so excited that I would wear everything even to go to work.

Intentions matter however there is a huge industry/ marketing campaigns that are focused on us mothers. It might help some people.

When it comes to real jewelry I have always bought what I liked or given some ideas to my family to choose one among several pieces. The word mom never appears in them🌻

Honored Contributor

Nay...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...