Occasional Visitor

"Luster enhancement" on Affinity gems?

We ordered a few pieces by Affinity Gems and a Vault Discovery ring. They are so shiny and dazzling that I'm concerned about what enhancement techniques have been used or applied to the stones.  Will these pieces exhibit those characteristics for years?  I don't worry about heat or irradiation treatments because they tend to be permanent.   But the QVC disclosed "luster enhancement" makes me concerned that it may not be lasting.  I also understand that Tanzanite, Fire Opa and Fancy Sapphire are often treated.   I wish Peyton Kelley (the true Gem of QVC) would address this issue.

Finally, how can I obtain Mr. Kelley's description of the ring if I don't belong to Facebook?

Honored Contributor

Re: "Luster enhancement" on Affinity gems?

The GIA has a complete section on their website where gem treatments are explained. 

https://www.gia.edu/gem-treatment

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

The GIA has a complete section on their website where gem treatments are explained. 

https://www.gia.edu/gem-treatment

@SilleeMee    Thanks    Most informative.  

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Honored Contributor

Many color diamonds are treated to enhance the color saturation.   They have to state that the color is enhanced. Color diamonds are priced for color. Very much like color gems.  A lot of color diamonds are lightly colored or washed out looking. So some colors like yellow or pink (and even blue or red diamonds) are enhanced in some way.  It affects the price.  The expensive color diamonds have to state they are natural and "vivid" in color.  

Trusted Contributor

WOW, thank for that info! 

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Respected Contributor

I have several pieces of multi-colored Effy sapphire jewelry that has probably been treated with "luster enhancement," and the brightness and sparkle definitely fades over time, especially if you wear the rings while washing your hands, etc. 

I did not pay a fortune for those pieces, but because I like the design and color combinations, I was willing to add them to my collection.  (Effy no longer tries to enhance sapphires and rubies with fillings due to the tremendous backlash and lawsuits from the past.)

I refuse to buy any stones that are glass-filled or otherwise enhanced.  I also refuse to buy anything but natural mined diamonds (no treatments, no lab created).  I strongly dislike single cut diamonds, or bead set diamonds that are used as jewelry enhancements.  

I also have some very fine natural sapphires/rubies that I bought at a famous jewelry store here in Philly that no longer exists, and as long as I keep them clean, they continue to sparkle and look beautiful.

Through research, I have learned that almost every stone will fade in sunlight except diamonds, so that also is a limiting factor for me (I love sunshine!). 

I like Peyton, but I find all of his Vault jewelry highly overpriced, and he continues to use the very small low quality diamonds with the "special" gemstones he has curated, which lowers the overall value of the pieces.