Contributor

Has anyone else noitice that diamonique seems to be phasing

out platinum clad and now setting in plain bright sterling

silver?

I have called customer service but they don't seem to know

if this sterling silver will tarnish over time.  I had old Xavier

ring that I loved that did and there was no way I could

clean it.  Does anyone have any comments?

Honored Contributor

Real sterling silver of 92.5 will tarnish over time.  If it does not tarnish, may not be sterling silver.

Respected Contributor

Silver is sometimes plated with rhodium to prevent tarnishing. 

Honored Contributor

I'm done with man made stones so I don't watch DMQ shows but it makes sense.  Platinum is expensive and they want to keep costs down.  Customers won't over pay for cz's.   

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm done with man made stones so I don't watch DMQ shows but it makes sense.  Platinum is expensive and they want to keep costs down.  Customers won't over pay for cz's.   

@chrystaltree

Platinum is used in many industrial applications and is in small supply, so the reason it might be too expensive to use for either faux or real stones.  My eternity ring (of diamonds) set in platinum was very expensive, far more so than had it been done in 14K.

Esteemed Contributor

I think the last figures I saw gold is more expensive than platinum.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@chrystaltree

Platinum is used in many industrial applications and is in small supply, so the reason it might be too expensive to use for either faux or real stones.  My eternity ring (of diamonds) set in platinum was very expensive, far more so than had it been done in 14K.

Gold is now more expensive than platinum, has been for a while now.  Some silver is rhodium plated to make it tarnish resistant.  Most of the gemstone jewelry at ShopLC is platinum plated.  I love that.  They are also using more vermeil, which is much better than "gold clad" or gold plated.  

Esteemed Contributor

@bibes wrote:

Has anyone else noitice that diamonique seems to be phasing

out platinum clad and now setting in plain bright sterling

silver?

I have called customer service but they don't seem to know

if this sterling silver will tarnish over time.  I had old Xavier

ring that I loved that did and there was no way I could

clean it.  Does anyone have any comments?

@bibes ... if you do a search for platinum clad LOTS OF STUFF comes up so I don’t know what you are talking about .... platinum clad does not tarnish whereas sterling silver does .... I never buy sterling silver for that reason

Esteemed Contributor

The TSV ring on Thursday comes in a platinum-clad choice.

Honored Contributor

I crave GOOD jewelry. Love platinum.  18K is still my metal, but platinum is still pretty close.  Most of my jewelry is in both metals.  So I don't have a lot, but what I have, I like knowing they have intrinsic value.  Keep in a safe keeper  Nice knowing they will never tarnish. I have never polished any of my jewelry.  Don't own any 14K. All of my gemstones are set in either 18K or Platinum and a few are two tone in those metals.