Respected Contributor

I'm a Bixby fan, but I'm done with this line, too. I own the Ethereal maltese cross cuff, purchased from an authorized Bixby reseller. The price I paid is nearly identical to the price of this new cuff, which does not have any undergallery and is made entirely of tiny stones. My cuff has a complete undergallery, and huge pieces of amethyst that form the cross. I just don't get the prices for these items. I thought the skull pieces from last fall (or the one before?) were outrageous for large, less-than-perfect pieces of carved crystal. QVC is just going crazy with the prices. I'll stick to other outlets and other vendors for the few pieces of designer silver that I find I "have to have."

Respected Contributor

One more observation about the Bixby pieces. The alloy used is not as white as the alloy in my other designer pieces. You can clearly see this in daylight. I have lots of Scott Kay, and his silver is white with no yellow cast. The pieces are all oxidized, so I can't attribute the yellow cast on the Bixby pieces to oxidation as compared to the other pieces of designer silver that I own (Scott Kay, John Hardy). I find Carolyn Pollack's silver to be similarly white, even though oxidized. There is something about the Bixby silver that makes it clash a bit with other pieces. So for that reason, too, I am not adding any more Bixby to my collection. I still enjoy watching the shows, because I appreciate her talent and artistry, but I just won't be buying anything.

Honored Contributor

I treasure and own many of the Bixby pieces and for those who continue to buy...enjoy your beautiful purchases. I just find that I'm no longer willing to pay the prices (I went through the same process with Ripka). It would have to be something very special and even at that I am rethinking priorities.

Honored Contributor
On 4/17/2014 ennui1 said:
On 4/17/2014 sunshine45 said:
On 4/17/2014 ennui1 said:
On 4/16/2014 sunshine45 said:

i should not have opened this thread! that cuff is gorgeous!

her pieces are so unique looking, weighty, touches of real gold, AND no faux stones to be found! works of art.....

Hello? DID YOU SEE THE PRICE?

yes

have you seen some of the other items available on qvc that have similar pricing but have faux stones, no gold, and are light in weight?

If I were spending $1400+ dollars, it would NOT be at QVC.

People! For $1400, you can get yourself something really nice!!!!

Why do I bother.

i have a wonderful local jewelry store that has a magnificent selection of jewelry.....i do buy there AND if there is something i like on qvc i buy it also if i really love it. buy what you love, love what you buy, no matter where you get it from!

i just picked up linea by LDO costume jewelry.....2 pieces cost me over $200!.....no gold, no silver, no gemstones.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor
On 4/17/2014 mslaura said:

ennui - I agree! Just look what you could get for that $ (ebay listing, Bellarri, http://www.ebay.com/itm/151274294699 and http://www.ebay.com/itm/161273997327). 18k, gems & diamonds!

those are pretty, but not for me.

if i am going to spend that money it will be on something i LOVE and will use.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

Barbara's pieces are exquisitely made, heavy, and she doesnt cheap out on the stones. They arent doublets or triplets or fake quartz or diamonique. She uses real sapphires and garnets, and they are good stones, not washed out versions.

I have so many of her designs and they are beautiful. THis cuff is expensive, but unlike other designers she uses REAL 18k gold, not clad and heavy weight sterling, not tinny silver.

Super Contributor
On 4/17/2014 lianne said:

Barbara's pieces are exquisitely made, heavy, and she doesnt cheap out on the stones. They arent doublets or triplets or fake quartz or diamonique. She uses real sapphires and garnets, and they are good stones, not washed out versions.

Barbara does use doublets. The skulls are doublets, the Amazonite hearts are doublets, the grasshoppers are doublets .... etc.

J292944 isn't new. I got mine out to compare -- same ring. Just recycled. I got mine at TJMaxx, so I don't know the previous price.

Super Contributor

Ladies - save your breath - they are NUTS!!!! And yes - she does use doublets - she is very talented but you are being ""ripped off""!! But whatever floats your boat!

Did any of you see the gorgeous Dragonfly bracelet CP had today for under $300.00 -Heavy silver and real gemstones-no gold - but it was gorgeous!! Too pricey for me but still a bargain compared to Bixby and Ripka!!

Regular Contributor

I really can't watch anymore; makes me sad. Her pieces are out of my league; I stopped buying a few years ago when the prices started their upward climb. It was a good run tho, and I love and treasure the collection I do have.

Some charms are in my range but for the most part the things I would love to have are just not affordable any longer.

Enjoy, those of you who are buying! That cuff is TDF!!

Regular Contributor

Really is tiresome to hear the same beating of that drum. You would think after years of saying it they would grow tired. Yes, why do you bother????

Thus, Delphi . . .