Frequent Contributor

If sleeping beauty is so scarce how can they keep offering so much of it, then claiming how scarce it is

Honored Contributor

Because all the suppliers knew how scarce it WILL BE and they stocked up.

Super Contributor

Here's a comprehensive article from a 1999 issue of Gems & Gemology magazine in PDF format that you can print out and read that explains. Click

ETA: Or, just read it online, it's 13 pages. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor
I read comment by some miners yesterday who said there are tons and tons of Sleeping Beauty stashed away. It was their opinion that the mine was closed for turquoise mining so as not to interfere with the more lucrative copper mining. About the time the stash starts becoming depleted, they'll probably re-open the mine.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor
I have a concho belt with SB that I've owned for about 40 years. I really like some matrix in my turquoise though.
Respected Contributor

Respected Contributor
On 1/27/2015 SANNA said:
Oops.empty post.
Respected Contributor
Thank you, Kathoderay ! Very interesting and informative article. That is what Michael Valetutti is talking about and that is what he sells. And also that is what Italians and other high end makers and cutters are using. If I knew about it before I would not spent so much for beautiful but finicky Persian stones that change color. And if SB mine will eventually reopen, great, more people will enjoy its true beauty. At least I am speaking for myself, I finally can enjoy my SB every day, at work, while travelling without being afraid of ruining it. Mr . Zachery is my hero!
Respected Contributor

Because they bought it up while the mine was still opened, hoarded it all, and now will sell it at a handsome price. The law of supply and demand.

Honored Contributor

I've been buying my own jewelry for about 50 years now and can't think of any gem that has disappeared completely. Can you?