Regular Contributor

if you own Michael Dawkins Starry Night steel watch I need info from you

My J283042 Michael Dawkins Starry Night Watch stopped working and I have confirmed it is not a battery problem. It is still under the 3 year limited warranty. I have the box and my Q receipt but no warranty card came with it.

I called Q C/S to get the address of where to send it. The only thing they had was a phone number for Dawkins jewelry which is no longer in service since he has stopped manufacturing.

If you own this watch would you check to see if there was info on where to send for warranty service (many watch brands use a contact repair serivce)? May not be able to take advantage of the warranty since he is out of the business but it is worth a try. LOVE this watch.

TIA, Rose 

Honored Contributor

Re: if you own Michael Dawkins Starry Night steel watch I need info from you

If you love the watch, why don't you take it to a watch repairer and see if it can be fixed? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

I will. But I thought there might be an outside chance the warranty would be honored. Thanks

Honored Contributor

@qvcrose wrote:

My J283042 Michael Dawkins Starry Night Watch stopped working and I have confirmed it is not a battery problem. It is still under the 3 year limited warranty. I have the box and my Q receipt but no warranty card came with it.

I called Q C/S to get the address of where to send it. The only thing they had was a phone number for Dawkins jewelry which is no longer in service since he has stopped manufacturing.

If you own this watch would you check to see if there was info on where to send for warranty service (many watch brands use a contact repair serivce)? May not be able to take advantage of the warranty since he is out of the business but it is worth a try. LOVE this watch.

TIA, Rose 

I owned this watch and had problems but the watch was still being sold by QVC.  I can't wear alloy jewelry, no matter what is put on top of it.... so I bought this watch specifically because it said it is stainless steel.

The QVC listing also stated that the watch band was stainless.  The inside of the band started flaking off leaving the alloy metal exposed.  I learned that the band is made from a metal alloy and the finish on top is a stainless wash or it was "bonded" on.  I will wear off anything that is only coated on the top of an alloy.  Besides this is not what it was advertised to be~!  QVC refunded my money but my love affair with MD ceased.

I'm afraid that everything went back to QVC for the refund.  I loved this watch too but I don't think that MD has any kind of a customer service any more. And there are a few people who have complained on his FB page about problems with his jewelry and didn't see an answer from him or a rep.at all!   but it doesn't hurt to try and ask him if he has a contact repair.

But I don't think he's keeping up with the page.  I hate to tell you all this, but I think your last year of the warranty is probably void.... I don't know how you would be able to contact him.  It's a shame.... I'd go ahead and take it to your local watch repair and see what the problem might be. Good Luck!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Q4u  Your experience sounds like mine.  I bought a beautiful Dawkins necklace set with blue stones, chalcedony I think.  I wore it two days in a row and at the end of the second day my whole neck under the necklace was bright red. 

I measure my silver collection in pounds, maybe close to tons, and I've never, ever had any reaction to it until this necklace.  I think his line must have been nicely designed junk.  I'm always dubious of vendors who don't have repair services, like the Deasys on Evine.   You spend a lot of money but you're SOL if something goes wrong. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Kind of ironic that Lisa Robinson was GaGa over this Michael guy.....and now she is selling her own junk jewelry line!🤣😂🤑😍😅

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Q4u  Your experience sounds like mine.  I bought a beautiful Dawkins necklace set with blue stones, chalcedony I think.  I wore it two days in a row and at the end of the second day my whole neck under the necklace was bright red. 

I measure my silver collection in pounds, maybe close to tons, and I've never, ever had any reaction to it until this necklace.  I think his line must have been nicely designed junk.  I'm always dubious of vendors who don't have repair services, like the Deasys on Evine.   You spend a lot of money but you're SOL if something goes wrong. 

I loved the edgy appeal of his designs and still have quite a bit.  I bought a sterling bead necklace and matching bracelet and each bead was attached to the other by a flimsy piece of "sterling" that coiled about three times over the ring next to it (like a jump ring)...  pull slightly on the necklace and you pulled the triple coil flat and it came apart!  Same with the bracelet.

Every time I look at what is left of my collection I get angry all over again. It wasn't cheap, even on sale!  I had a ring that was incredibly top heavy, so much so I really couldn't wear it.. Lots of sterling silver there, right? Ah, no... it had no grill work inside the ring at all, it was solid inside and I wondered why  ....  and the ring left dark marks on my finger. Without opening it up my jeweler felt it was weighted with some kind of jeweler's metal (alloy) and I was having a reaction to it!  I brought this up on a thread years ago and was poo poo'd about it, being told that it was all sterling silver, that he was a big deal designer, etc. etc....  however, I am kind of like the canary in the mine (who react to poison gases) .... I react to most alloys.  And I believe that how the jewelry is made is likely legal (not right IMHO) but legal.  

It's not the only problem I've had with his jewelry.... no wonder he's vamoosed and no one can get any warranty work done.... I will no longer buy anything to do with Michael Dawkins, and I was quite a fan.  Woman Sad 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
New Contributor

Why did QVC quit selling MD jewelry?  He is my top three jewelry artist on QVC.  I was disappointed to see he has very few things left and the couple of pieces I'm interested

in are still really expensive.  

I have not had trouble with his jewelry.  But I rotate my jewelry as I have quite a bit of it.

Honored Contributor

@qvcrose wrote:

I will. But I thought there might be an outside chance the warranty would be honored. Thanks

@qvcrose

Post this question in the Customer Care section .... maybe they can help.

Respected Contributor

So sorry this happened. I know the watch you are describing and never purchased it. Unfortunately, this happens more than you would think. What to do with watches, when the company that made it is no longer around? Or jewelry, or anything else? We all take chances with purchases and most things don't last forever. Michael D. was not a watch manufacturer and they just made a disposable, fashion watch. I stay away from most of these because of this. (Only if they are really, really cheap.aa

In this case, find a reputable jewerl who can probably do what needs to be done.  Sometiems it's not worth fixing. It's up to you and how much you love the watch.